SBIG Class 2 CCD Camera
- The SBIG ST402ME Class 2 Camera features the KAF-0402ME imaging sensor- 75% larger than the ST-237A's TC-237
- Priced similarly to that of the ST-237A, the ST-402ME has lower dark current, better read noise, greater dynamic range and higher QE
- Works with PC or a Mac running OS X
- Improve the cooling delta by approximately 10 degrees C with the ST-402ME Class 1 camera enhanced cooling package
The SBIG ST402ME is a combination of simple and easy to use yet powerful enough to carry the ST model prefix. The camera comes equipped with the optional T-thread adapter and C-mount adapter ring and lens. When using at a telescope, a 1.25" nosepiece screws into the T-threads of the front plate. Set up and handling on the ST402ME is easy and simple due to its small size and light weight.
With a custom internal filter wheel and shutter you can automatically take dark frames and tri-color images. Extraordinary QE and low noise of the KAF-0402ME CCD make this one of the most sensitive CCD cameras available to amateurs at any price. Nothing can touch the SBIG St402ME in its class except of course, the dual sensor self guiding ST-7XME camera. The same technology that is used to achieve such high quantum efficiency in the KAF-3200ME CCD is also used with the same effectiveness in the KAF-0402ME CCD. When it comes time to recording faint detail in dim objects, the ST402ME deliver with a peak QE of nearly 85%, now that's impressive!
Enhanced Cooling Included:
Now standard on the SBIG ST402ME, ST1603ME, and ST3200ME is an enhanced cooling package which improves the cooling delta by approximately 10 degrees C. The upgrade consist of four things, they include:
- Larger heat sink installed in the camera
- A new back plate with openings to accommodate the extension of the fan housing and guard
- A larger 50 mm magnetic levitating fan and fan guard
- A board inside the camera that routes additional power to the TE cooler
Addition of these new parts increase the depth of the camera body by 4 mm and the fan plus the fan guard adds another 10 mm. Note that no additional external power is required and that the backfocus is not changed.
Similarities to the ST-237A:
Just as the ST-237A, the ST402ME is a single sensor camera designed for light weight, high performance at a low cost. The camera uses a monochrome CCD with an internal filter wheel and customer filters. This enables the camera to do both high sensitivity B & W imaging and RGB/LRGB color imaging. The CCD is correctly spaced for Celestron telescopes having Hyperstar or Fastar optics. The CCD is centered in the camera body, which is constructed of all metal (black hard anodized aluminum).
On this model there is single stage, regulated, enhanced cooling provided. Measuring 4 x 5 inches, the camera head is somewhat wider than the ST-237A, but is only 1.8 inches deep with electrical connections on the side. This gives the camera the shortest possible protrusion from the rear of the telescope to allow maximum clearance when imaging objects in the north with a fork mounted telescope.
The filter wheel (optional) can be put inside the camera because the shape and size make it possible, even though the KAF-0402ME CCD requires larger filters than the ST-237A. The camera can be used as a highly sensitive autoguider with a larger field of view than most other autoguiders, because of the electronic relays providing typical auotguider output from the RJ-11 jack. A little bit wider than the ST-237A, this new camera is still fine for all Fastar equipped telescope.
Differences from the ST-237A:
The KAF-0402ME Imaging CCD has slightly better read noise, greater dynamic range and higher QE, much lower dark current, and is about 75% larger then the TC0237. Combined, all these factors make a more sensitive detector with greater field of view. The KAF-0402E/ME CCD is available only in NABG. For faster systems, the KAF-0401LE (ABG) i also an available option.
In the camera head, all new electronics are contained and there is no separate CPU box. The computer interface is USB-2.0 (USB-1.1 compatible), the high speed transfer rate is approximately 800,000 pixels per second, and with some overhead, a full frame, high resolution image will download in approximately 0.8 seconds using USB-2.
You can operate directly from a 12 V battery or other unregulated 12 VDC source as a regulated power supply is built into the camera. For operation in North America from 110 VAC, a wall transformer is also supplied.
- CCD: Kodak KAF-0402ME
- Pixel Array: 765 X 510 pixels
- Chip Size: 6.9 mm X 4.6 mm
- Total Pixels: 390,000
- Pixel Size: 9 X 9 µm
- Full Well Capacity (NABG): ~100,000 e-
- Dark Current: 1e/pixel/sec degree C
- Antiblooming: Option (KAF-0401LE)
- Shutter: Electromechanical
- Exposure: 0.04 to 3600 seconds, 10 ms resolution
- Correlated Double Sampling: Yes
- A/D Converter: 16 bits
- A/D Gain: 2.3e-
- Read Noise: 15e RMS
- Binning Modes: 1 x 1, 2 x 2, 3 x 3
- Full Frame Download Rate: On USB 2: Up to 800 pixels per second. On USB 1: Up to 400,000 pixels per second
- Full Frame Download time: less than 1 second
- Cooling - Standard: Single Stage Thermoelectric, Active Fan, -25C from Ambient Typical
- Temperature Regulation: +/-0.1 degree C
- Power: 12 VDC, Power Supply included
- Computer Interface: USB-2.0 (USB-1.1 compatible)
- Computer Compatibility: Windows 98/200/Me/XP
- Optical Head: 4"x5"x1.8"
- CPU: All electronics integrated into optical head; no CPU
- Mounting: T-Thread, 1.25" nosepieces included
- Weight: TBD
- Backfocus: 0.69"