- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Baader ASBF 80 AstroSolar Binoculars Solar Filter - 80 mm - ASBF-80
Baader AstroSolar White Light Solar Filters
The world's finest solar filter material, Baader AstroSolar Safety Film, is now available in a complete range of high-quality mounted Baader Solar Filters. Their innovative design and construction enables each filter to fit a wide range of instruments…from telescopes, to spotting scopes and camera Lenses, to binoculars. Each filter is precisely mounted at the factory onto special cells, guaranteeing a stress-free mounting that, unlike other mounted solar film filters, preserves the full optical quality of the Baader AstroSolar film.
Many ready-made filters stretch the filter material like a drumhead in order to make it look like a piece of glass. While it might look more pleasing to the untrained eye, the stretching process absolutely destroys the image quality, rendering the film useless for high magnification work. Baader AstroSolar is mounted entirely stress free in order to perform like a high precision plane-optical window; in other words, AstroSolar film must show slight ripples! When the film is put under stress by an improper cell mount its optical quality is degraded and it then performs just like a common glass filter made of untreated float glass.
With Baader Planetarium AstroSolar™, the color of the Sun is displayed as neutral white, which is its true color. Other films and most glass filters produce a blurry bluish, yellow-orange, or reddish Solar image, thereby cutting part of the spectrum. Especially with an orange sun, it is very hard to see faculae regions which are visible predominantly in the blue part of the spectrum.
Baader ASBF 80 mm Binocular AstroSolar Filter
Fits 85-100 mm OD & 111-126 mm ID
Binoculars & Camera Lenses
Baader ASBF AstroSolar Solar Filters are designed to fit binoculars or camera lenses. They are very similar to the Spotting Scope (ASSF) filters except that one side of the filter cell is flat so that it can be used with most any pair of binoculars, even when a short interpupillary distance is chosen (see images for an example).
If you are going to use this filter for binoculars, you will need to buy two...one for each side.
The Baader AstroSolar Safety Film (ND 5.0) is mounted at the factory onto a clear white, IR-rejecting plastic ring that has a similar thermal expansion coefficient to minimize thermal stress on the film. This ring is then attached to the aluminum front frame of the filter, providing a very rigid and stable filter cell.
Each Baader ASBF AstroSolar Filter comes with two different lengths of centering bolts (13 mm & 24 mm) to give you leeway for mounting on your binoculars or camera lens. These centering bolts, with their non-slip rubber facing, are used to make contact along the outside, or if feasible, the inside diameter of your instrument. Non-rotating sliding aluminum fasteners hold the centering bolts. Additional Phillips head screws are integrated into the sliding fasteners so that, if you wish, you can use a screwdriver to fasten the centering bolts firmly into place. An indexing system is in place to allow repeatable and fast adjustments of the filter cell if you use it on more than one instrument.
You will also receive three security straps which allows you to secure the position of the filter with Velcro-adhesive pads. This extra security feature ensures that the filter will stay put even in windy conditions.
Baader ASBF 80 mm Solar Filter Specifications
- Best for Apertures: 70 mm - 90 mm
- Filter Aperture: 80 mm or 3.15”
- Outer Cell Diameter: 140 mm
- Net Weight: 78 grams or 2.8 ounces
- ID Clamping Range with 13 mm Bolt: 111 mm - 126 mm
- OD Clamping Range with 13 mm Bolt: 85 mm - 100 mm
Check out the Baader Solar Filter Clamping Ranges for more information on filter installation, etc.