- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Celestron CGEM II 700 Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope - 12016
Celestron CGEM II 700 Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope
- Ideal for both serious planetary imagers and causal visual observers, this 7" Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope with f/15 focal ratio facilitates high contrast views of planets and lunar surface detail.
- Premium StarBright XLT coatings from Celestron enable maximum light transmission.
- The latest update to the highly esteemed CGEM mount, the CGEM II provides a solid, rigid platform along with 40 pounds of payload capacity.
- With low cog DC Servo motors with integrated optical encoders, steel worm gears supported by precision sealed bearings, and brass worm wheels, the CGEM II 700 Mak-Cass's drive system ensures smooth and accurate slewing and tracking.
- A 2" visual back, 2" star diagonal with 1.25" adapter, 28 mm wide field eyepiece, and 8x50 finderscope are among the accessories included with the CGEM II 700 Telescope.
This Celestron CGEM II 700 Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope is an instrument expressly designed to facilitate high contrast views with increased detail of smaller celestial objects like planets. Combining a 7" Mak-Cass optical tube coupled with a sturdy equatorial mount and tripod gives this system the ability to provide incomparable planetary views, as well as close-up views of the Moon's craters, maria, and other features. The Maksutov design is also great for targeting smaller, fainter deep sky objects like globular clusters or planetary nebulae. Astronomers viewing from areas with a lot of light pollution will be grateful for the Mak's capacity to highlight more contrast in celestial objects. In addition, because the entire system easily breaks down with the optical tube, mount head, tripod, counterweight, and counterweight bar separating into individual components, transporting the entire system to and from remote dark sky locations is a lot more manageable.
Maksutov-Cassegrain Optical Design As a Maksutov-designed catadioptric telescope, the interior optics include a lens as well as a mirror. Light entering a Mak passes through to the primary mirror via the corrector lens and back to a spherical secondary mirror prior to reaching your eyepiece. This enables brilliant, razor-sharp images that are essentially free of chromatic aberration. The Maksutov-Cassegrain’s optical design offers several unique benefits. Instead of a secondary mirror, the Mak features a “secondary spot” of reflective coating applied directly to the inside of the corrector plate. Because of this, the telescope does not require frequent collimation like a Schmidt-Cassegrain. Also, the secondary spot is significantly smaller than a traditional Schmidt-Cassegrain secondary mirror, giving the Mak its signature high-contrast views. An important aspect to note regarding Maksutov-Cassegrain telescopes is that their larger, heavier corrector plates don't cool down and adjust to ambient air temperature as quickly as Schmidt-Cassegrains that have the same aperture.
CGEM II Mount & Tripod Celestron's sturdy CGEM II equatorial mount offers rigid support for the 700 Mak. Capable of handing payloads of up to 40 lbs., the CGEM II is able to take on the 19 lb. 700 Mak optical tube without difficulty and still have plenty of leftover weight capacity for your camera and accessories. Includes a heavy-duty tripod with 2" diameter steel legs and graduated markings for keeping the legs the same length when adjusting the height. The 7" Mak optical tube attaches directly to the CGEM II via a CGE dovetail mounting bar. This mount is packed with the functionality and conveniences necessary to make imaging with the 700 Mak a breeze. Fully computerized, the CGEM II will automatically "GoTo" any of the over 40,000 celestial objects in the NexStar+ hand controller's database, tracking the object automatically as it appears to move across the night sky. Designed with imaging in mind, the CGEM II motor drive system accurately tracks during an exposure. At the heart of the system are low cog DC servo motors with integrated optical encoders. The low cog design helps the motors run smoothly, while the integrated optical encoders provide accuracy. The motors turn steel worm gears, which are supported by precision bearings, against brass worm wheels. These components also help to make the motor drive system operate smoothly and accurately. Before this mount can track objects across the night sky, it must first be polar-aligned. With their innovative All-Star Polar Alignment procedure, Celestron makes this process easier than ever. No polar scope or any other additional equipment is necessary, and the best part is it doesn't take more than about 15 minutes for alignment to be completed, even when you don't have a clear view of Polaris. All mounts have some amount of “periodic tracking error” inherent in them caused by tiny gear imperfections. To mitigate this, the CGEM II has Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PPEC). This allows you to run a routine to record the periodic errors only once; the recording is kept in memory, and subsequently corrects for the mount’s periodic tracking error. If an even higher level of tracking accuracy is desired, the CGEM II also has a dedicated autoguider port to connect an autoguiding camera directly to the mount to correct for any residual tracking errors. Conditions for imaging are best when celestial objects are at their highest point in the sky with the darkest background, called the meridian. But some German equatorial mounts have trouble tracking near the meridian because they need to perform a “meridian flip,” readjusting their position to avoid the tube striking the mount. CGEM II does not suffer from this problem, imaging through the meridian with ease and not requiring a meridian flip until the object is a full 20° past the meridian. The NexStar+ also has dozens of other functions to control every aspect of the mount’s behavior. These include:
- Multiple mount to night sky alignment methods
- Adjustable slew rates up to 5° per second
- Compatible with both northern and southern hemispheres
- Adjustable autoguiding rates
- Hibernate mode allows the mount to be powered down without loss of alignment
- Continual firmware development, with new features added regularly
StarBright XLT Technology StarBright XLT is Celestron’s revolutionary optical coating system that outperforms any other coating in the commercial telescope market. There are three major components that make up our StarBright XLT high-transmission optical system design:
- Unique enhanced multi-layer mirror coatings made from precise layers of aluminum, SiO2 (quartz), TiO2 (titanium dioxide), and SiO2 (silicon dioxide). Reflectivity is fairly flat across the spectrum, optimizing it for both imaging and visual observing.
- Multi-layer anti-reflective coatings made from precise layers of MgF2 (magnesium fluoride) and HfO2 (hafnium dioxide). Hafnium—a rare element that costs nearly $2,000 per kilogram—gives us a wider band pass than the titanium used in competing coatings.
- High-transmission water white glass is used instead of soda lime glass for the corrector lens. Water white glass transmits about 90.5% without anti-reflective coatings; that’s 3.5% better transmission than uncoated soda lime glass. When water white glass is used in conjunction with StarBright XLT’s anti-reflective coatings, the average transmission reaches 97.4%, an 8% improvement.
Celestron’s Starry Night Special Edition Software Starry Night is a planetarium software package which provides easy-to-understand explanations and impressive visuals of all kinds of night sky phenomena. Use Starry Night to learn more about extra solar planets imagery, 3D Stars rendering, observation planning, telescope control, multiple-panel printing, and much more. Starry Night is available on macOS and Microsoft Windows.
The Celestron CGEM II 700 Mak-Cass Telescope comes complete with a 2" Visual Back, 2" Star Diagonal with 1.25" adapter, 28 mm wide-field 2" eyepiece, and a large 8x50 straight-thru finderscope. The optical tube also accepts larger 2" accessories such as 2" Barlow lenses, eyepiece and filter kits, and larger wide-field eyepieces.