- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Explore Scientific 16" Truss Tube Dobsonian - Generation II - DOB1645-00
More On The Way
More On The Way - Regularly Stocked Product On Order With The Supplier. Typical Lead Time Is 7 - 14 Business Days But May Be Impacted By COVID-19 Supply & Demand Issues.
One of the many benefits to becoming a customer of High Point Scientific is that you receive Unlimited Tech Support on all of the products you purchase from us. We understand that many of our products are technical in nature and require support. Rest assured that our team of Telescope and Telescope Accessory experts will be standing by (800.266.9590) to support you for as long as you own one of our products!
Explore Scientific 16” Truss-Tube Dobsonian - Generation II
- This 16-inch Dobsonian telescope has a focal ratio of f/4.5, and is lightweight and portable due to its unique design
- Let this Light Bucket show you objects out of reach of most telescopes!
- Primary mirror stores in a self-contained housing with lid
- Secondary cage fits in rocker box for storage
- Two fans allow the primary to come to temperature quickly
- 2” helical geared, dual speed focuser has 10:1 reduction
- Comes with LED red dot finder and a handy collimation assist tool
- Heaviest component is 66.1 pounds, total weight 88.1 pounds
This 16” Explore Scientific telescope is an ideal workhorse for celestial observers who want to delve deep into the Universe. A 406 mm mirror collects more than 2,400 times as much light as the naked eye. Details on planets and deep sky objects will be visible even for inexperienced observers. Thrill to the sight of the elusive Horsehead or North American Nebula, and see faint structure in galaxies, planetary nebulae, and more with this powerful 16-inch Dobsonian telescope! Bright wide views at low power can capture more than one deep-sky object in the field!
Disassembly of this 16-inch Dobsonian telescope without tools ensures a trouble-free transport of this large aperture telescope, even in smaller cars. The entire structure of the Explore Scientific Truss Tube Dobsonian has been optimized for maximum stiffness with minimal weight. The combination of high altitude bearings with optimized aluminum structures allows fine adjustment flows at high magnifications.
This 16" Explore Scientific telescope includes a 2" dual-speed focuser with helical gearing and 10:1 reduction, an LED Red Dot Finder, a collimation assist tool (see extra images for a view of the collimation assist tool in action), a soft light baffle to keep stray light from dampening contrast at the eyepiece, and two radial main mirror fans for fast temperature equilibrium. An optional coma corrector is available separately.
There is a 3/8th's pre-drilled hole along the side of the fans to allow for the installation of the Truss Tube Dob Counterweight Set, sold separately, should you require some extra balancing support for your Explore Scientific telescope.
Explore Scientific 16” Truss Dob Specifications
- Telescope Type: Truss Tube Dobsonian
- Aperture: 16”
- Primary Mirror Diameter: 406mm
- Secondary Mirror Diameter: 72 mm
- Secondary Obstruction: 25%
- Focal Ratio: f/4.5
- Focal Length: 1826 mm
- Focuser: 2” Dual Speed with Helical Gearing
- Finder: LED Red Dot Finder
- Primary Mirror Weight: 66.1 lb.
- Rocker Box Weight: 22 lb.
- Total Weight: 88.1 lb.
|Explore Truss Dobsonians|
The focal ratio helps
Telescope Mount Type
Type of Electronics
|Manual - No Electronics|
Focal Length (mm)
Manufacturer's warranty period, if known. Customers should communicate directly with the manufacturer regarding details of their warranty, as warranties have a tendency to change without notice.
|Explore Scientific 1 Year/Unlimited Lifetime upon Registration/Electronics 1 Year|
Total Weight without Counterweights (lb.)
|88.1, consisting of primary mirror box at 66.1 lb., and rocker box at 22 lb.|
- Explore Scientific 16" f/4.5 Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope - Generation II
- Dobsonian Base
- 2" Dual-Speed Helical Focuser
- Deluxe LED Red Dot Finder
- Collimation Assist Tool
- Two Radial Main Mirror Fans
- Soft Light Baffle
Lets Keep In Touch!
Receive Exclusive Offers, Monthly Celestial Event Calendars & Access To Telescope Giveaway Contests!