- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
GSO 16" f/8 Ritchey-Chretien Optical Tube - Truss Tube OTA - 16RCT
The Ritchey-Chretien was designed for photographic use, and while you can put an eyepiece in the diagonal and use it visually, you will get less than "stellar" results. It is for this reason that we do not recommend an RC telescope for visual use. If you have any questions or need help choosing a telescope that performs well when used either visually or photographically, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks!
GSO 16” f/8 Ritchey Chretien Truss Tube OTA
The Keck does it, the VLT does it, so why can’t you? Using a true Ritchey-Chretien telescope for astro-imaging has been the dream of many an amateur astronomer, but making that dream come true used to be nearly impossible for all but the most financially blessed of us. Now that GSO (Guan Sheng Optical) has turned its attention to building a quality, large aperture RC telescope that won’t break the bank, they have opened up the possibility of that professional-style, dream telescope to a higher percentage of the amateur astro-imaging population.
The 16” f/8 RC Optical Tube Assembly from GSO is a true Ritchey, You do not have to worry about chromatic aberrations, coma, false color, or the need to add a field flattener/corrector to the mix!
GSO 16” f/8 Ritchey-Chretien Optics
Ritchey-Chretien telescopes do not use any lenses in their design. Instead, they consist of a concave hyperbolic primary and a convex hyperbolic secondary mirror. This design provides superb image correction across the entire field as well as very sharp images on-axis. Optical testing is done several times throughout the manufacturing process, and then before the optical set is mounted in an OTA, it is tested again and hand-corrected if necessary to bring it up the advertised wavefront.
The GSO 16” RC has a 1/12th wave or better primary mirror. The mirror is made of quartz and then topped with a highly reflective (99%) dielectric coating that also protects the optics against sleeks and scratches. Quartz is famous for its super low thermic expansion properties, and you will notice the difference when your telescope is exposed to the cool night air. The primary rides on an 18-point floatation system in fixed mirror cell, eliminating the problem of image shift. The secondary mirror is also quartz with multiple 99% dielectric over coatings and is mounted in a fully adjustable cell for ease of collimation.
Carbon Fiber Truss Lightens the Load
Carbon fiber has an amazing strength to weight ratio, and it cools down like a champ. The 16” f/8 OTA includes Serrurier carbon truss tubes to keep flexure to a minimum and your optics collimated as the telescope moves across the sky. The inside of the optical tube includes a computer-optimized baffle system to eliminate stray light. Three small fans located at the back of the telescope help it reach ambient temperature in a flash.
3” Crayford Focuser is Included
The GSO 16” RC comes with a 3” Crayford Focuser. The focuser rides on a stainless steel track, or monorail when you rack the focus in or out. This updated design feature keeps the focuser from twisting or bending when you have a camera or imaging set-up riding on it. A 10:1 dual speed focusing system allows for both coarse and fine focus, and the focuser can be rotated 360º to help you achieve the proper image orientation.
GSO 16” f/8 RC Telescope Specifications
- Telescope Design: Ritchey-Chretien
- Aperture: 16” or 406 mm
- Focal Length: 3250 mm
- Focal Ratio: f/8
- Mirror Material: Quartz
- Coatings: 99% Reflectivity Multi-Coatings
- Tube Material: Carbon Fiber with metal mirror cells
- Focuser: 3” Dual Speed Crayford
- Focus Travel: +/- 80 mm
- Focuser Clear Aperture: 68 mm
- Dovetail: Losmandy D - Top & Bottom
- Diameter: 21-1/2 inches
- Weight: 84 pounds
- Length without Focuser or Collar: 44 inches
Images show a 12" RC. The 16" is bigger :-)