- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Orion SkyQuest XT8 Plus Dobsonian Telescope - 10280
Orion SkyQuest XT8 PLUS Dobsonian Telescope
- Deluxe upgrade of the popular Orion XT8 Classic Dobsonian with several premium feature improvements and more included accessories.
- Attractive metallic blue optical tube attached to a redesigned base featuring adjustable altitude tension knobs.
- For easy tool-free collimation, the secondary mirror is adjustable via thumbscrew.
- Comes with a 2" dual speed Crayford focuser with 11:1 fine focus to allow exact focus modifications resulting in sharp views.
- Package includes upgraded accessories such as a 28 mm DeepView 2" eyepiece, 10 mm Sirius Plossl 1.25" eyepiece, 2x Shorty barlow, EX Finder II reflex sight, eyepiece rack, collimation cap, and more.
Even though the XT8 Classic Dobsonian has been a favorite for many years, developing a devoted fan base among amateur astronomers all around the world, Orion has decided to give it a serious remodeling. Orion has augmented the XT8 Classic with first-rate features and accessories to produce the new Orion SkyQuest XT8 PLUS Dobsonian Reflector. This deluxe upgrade of Orion's robust 8" Dobsonian reflector sports a redesigned base, knobs for adjusting altitude axis tension, a 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser, and a myriad of additional upgrades and included accessories to heighten your viewing experience.
The Orion SkyQuest XT8 PLUS Dobsonian's sleek redesigned base not only has an appealing look, it also features cutouts for reducing weight to give the XT8 PLUS more portability than the previous XT8 classic model. The base has white trim to make it detectable even in the black of night. Attached to the base is Orion's big 8" aperture f/5.9 Dobsonian reflector telescope in a striking metallic blue. Adjustable tension knobs on the altitude axis supplant the XT8 Classic's tensioning springs. These adjustable knobs give the XT8 PLUS more versatility because now the altitude axis of motion tension can be modified to enable the use of heavier 2" eyepieces, Barlows, multiple finderscopes, and other bulky accessories. Properly adjusted altitude tension will keep the optical tube from drifting downwards during use.
The essence of the Orion SkyQuest XT8 PLUS Dobsonian is an 8" (203 mm) diameter parabolic primary mirror supported by a sturdy, cast-aluminum cell. Compared to 6" mirrors, this mirror gathers 78% more light for a substantial increase in your ability to view dust lanes in nebulae, resolve the cores of pronounced globular star clusters, and to see some of the more inconspicuous features in faint galaxies. The XT8 PLUS has a focal length of 1200 mm (f/5.9) to allow you to achieve clear and crisp views at intermediate to high magnifications on clear nights when seeing conditions are favorable. The Moon and planets such as Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars are brilliantly displayed with the Orion SkyQuest XT8 PLUS, enabling you to investigate them in high-resolution detail. In order for the highest possible amount of light to be transmitted to the eyepiece, the XT8 PLUS Dobsonian mirror features enhanced mirror coatings for up to 94% reflectivity. This results in extraordinarily bright, clear views. With the Dobsonian design, it's easy to quickly point and view, contrary to equatorially mounted telescopes which are much more complicated. After only a little practice, your whole family will be using the XT8 PLUS Dobsonian to explore the night sky as if they were experienced astronomers.
More About Included Accessories and Features
2" Dual-Speed Crayford Focuser
The large, 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser that comes with the XT8 PLUS Dobsonian is a substantial upgrade to the single speed focuser that came with the XT8 Classic. A step-down 1.25" adapter is included to allow the use of 1.25" as well as 2" eyepieces. The Crayford design enables smooth, precise focus adjustments that are essentially free of backlash and flexure. An 11:1 fine focus ratio provides the ability to make exact adjustments for sharp views with an abundance of detail.
Eyepieces and Barlow
This package includes a 28 mm 2" DeepView eyepiece for expansive 42x views, and a 10 mm 1.25" Sirius Plossl for more close-up 120x observations. To achieve even more powerful views, a 1.25" Shorty 2x Barlow Lens is included to provide any 1.25" with double the power. By using the Shorty 2x Barlow with the 10 mm Sirius Plossl eyepiece, an extremely powerful 240x view can be attained.
Thumbscrew Adjustable Secondary Mirror Cell
As with all reflector telescopes, the XT8 PLUS will probably need regular maintenance to keep its optical mirrors aligned or "collimated." For smooth and easy collimation adjustments, Orion has equipped the XT8 PLUS Dobsonian's secondary mirror with knurled thumbscrews so you no longer have to bother with tools to align the telescope's reflecting optics.
Dobsonian Base with Bright White Trim
Obviously stargazing is more optimal the darker the surroundings. In this setting, there is always the chance of accidentally running into or tripping over equipment that is not easy to see in the darkness. To keep such incidents from making your next observing session a disaster, Orion has made the base of the XT8 PLUS with highly visible white trim so that it is easy to see, even in the black of night.
Other Accessories and Features
With the included eyepiece rack, you can keep one 2" eyepiece as well as three 1.25" eyepiece on stand-by. The XT8 PLUS can be accurately aimed easily using the included Orion EX Finder II reflex sight. Additional accessories include a quick collimation cap, dust caps for both the optical tube and focuser.
The Orion XT8 PLUS Dobsonian disassembles into two separate components for convenient transport and storage. Unthreading the two altitude tension knobs from the base allow the 46.5" long reflector optical tube to be detached so both the telescope and the base can be moved separately. With a 42 lb. assembled weight, the XT8 PLUS provides a lot of telescope for an incredibly reasonable price.