- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Orion Basic Set of Four Color 1.25" Filters - 05514
Planetary and lunar observation is almost always improved by the use of color filters. They bring out subtle details by selectively increasing the contrast among markings of different hues, and by reducing "irradiation," the smudging of the boundaries between light and dark regions due primarily to turbulence in the Earth's atmosphere.
With the right color filter, suddenly the indistinct, pale bands of Jupiter resolve into loops and festoons. Delicate markings appear on Saturn's globe, and the Cassini and crepe divisions darken and solidify. Mars' polar caps stand out like tiny pearls, and vague lunar rilles acquire greater depth and contrast. Bad "seeing" becomes acceptable; good seeing becomes superb! Because many planets have a characteristic color (e.g., Mars is reddish), a color filter will reduce the predominant hues to enhance contrast and uncover hidden surface markings. That's why "the Red Planet" is most effectively enhanced with a green filter!
Orion color planetary filters are the absolute best available. Made from high-grade Hoya optical glass, each is vat-dyed for even color distribution and then fully antireflection coated. The glass is held in an anodized aluminum cell labeled with the appropriate Wratten filter number. The cell is double-threaded to permit threading of the filter into the barrel of an eyepiece as well as the stacking of filters for additional filtration options. Basic Set of Four FiltersFour of the most important filters. If you buy no other filters, buy these! Both 1.25" and 2" sets include new foam-lined hard case that holds all four filters!
#15 Deep Yellow Planetary Filter
- Red and orange features on Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars
- Contrast of lunar features
- Low-contrast cloud detail on Venus
#25 Red Planetary Filter
- Martian surface details in large scopes
- bluish cloud regions on Jupiter and Saturn
- Contrast of Mercury against blue sky
- Cloud definition on Venus
#58 Green Planetary Filter
- Contrast of blue and red structures on Jupiter (including Red Spot)
- Melt lines around Martian polar ice caps
- Saturn's cloud belts
#80A Medium Blue Planetary Filter
- Details in Jupiter's cloud belts and Red Spot
- High clouds and polar caps on Mars
- Lunar surface details
- Venus cloud features