- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Skywatcher Skymax 90 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope OTA - S11500
About the Sky-Watcher Skymax 90 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope
Maksutov-Cassegrain telescopes are all about portability, sharp, contrasty images, and the flexibility to use them as a telescope for astronomy, a spotting scope for terrestrial use, a lens for photography, or a travel companion for all three! The Sky-Watcher 90 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain is the most portable of the series, but it still packs quite a punch with 90 mm, or 3.5”, of light-gathering power. The classic long focal length of f/13.8 will give you inky dark background skies so that celestial targets stand out beautifully.
The Skywatcher Skymax 90 comes with a nice selection of accessories, including a 1.25” 90-degree star diagonal, two 1.25” Plossl eyepieces (10 mm & 25 mm), a red dot finder for easy location and centering of objects, and a Vixen-style dovetail plate, which allows you to mount your telescope on a wide variety of alt-azimuth or equatorial mounts.
Why a Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope?
Maksutov-Cassegrain telescopes are super popular, and for good reason! First of all, they are very portable for the size of their optics. For instance, the Skymax 90 OTA is less than 10” long, and weighs just three pounds, which means it can easily travel with you, whether you are going by land, sea, or air.
But let’s face it, portability isn’t everything! You still need enough light-gathering to see the objects you wish to look at, whether that object is Saturn, the Orion Nebula, a boat on the horizon at dusk, or a deer resting in the shade of an oak tree. 90 mm of aperture is large enough to enjoy objects in our solar system as well as larger, brighter deep-sky objects, and it is more than enough for most terrestrial applications.
Another consideration when choosing a telescope or spotting scope is how sharp the optics are. This is where the Sky-Watcher Maksutov-Cassegrain really shines! A Mak-Cass uses both mirrors and lenses to gather and focus light, and this design is famous for sharp, high-contrast “refractor-like” images. Then why not just buy a refractor and be done with it? Because a 90 mm f/13.8 refractor would be way longer, much heavier, and therefore would require a bigger, more expensive mount to hold it. There goes your portability! No, if you want a highly portable telescope or spotting scope that has bright, sharp images with a beautiful black background sky (an effect of the long f/13.8 focal length), then you should seriously consider the Sky-Watcher 90 mm Skymax!.
Skywatcher Skymax 90 Specs
- Optical Design: Maksutov-Cassegrain
- Aperture: 90 mm (3.54in)
- Focal Length: 1250 mm
- Focal Ratio: f/13.8
- Included Eyepieces: 25 mm, 10 mm
- Finderscope: Red Dot finder
- Diagonal: 1.25” 90 degree Star diagonal
- Highest Useful Magnification: 180x
- Optical Coatings: Fully multi-coated
- Tube Weight: 3.6 lb.
- Tube Length: 10”
- Tube Diameter: 4.125”