- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Meade 8" Reflector on LX85 GoTo Equatorial Mount - 217004
Meade 8" Reflector on LX85 Computerized Equatorial Mount
Enjoy stunning views of the Moon, planets, deep-sky objects, star clusters, and even some brighter galaxies with the Meade LX85 8" Reflector! In this package, you will receive an 8" reflector equipped with the LX85 GoTo mount as well as an aluminum and steel tripod to reinforce your system with the capability to add more accessories. Also included are 2 Super Plossl 1.25" eyepieces and an 8x50 viewfinder. This package will make it simple for you to find your favorite celestial objects, and enjoy your long nights observing the skies.
Please Note: This mount requires a user-provided 12V DC power source and supply. We recommend the Meade Universal AC Power Adapter (07584) or the #607 DC Power Cord (07043) and a 12V Power Supply. Please see the Recommended Accessories for a full list of power options.
About the Meade LX85 German Equatorial Mount
The Meade LX85 is a lightweight yet sturdy, classic German equatorial mount that has been upgraded with an AudioStar hand controller for state-of-the-art GoTo electronics. The LX85 GEM is fitted with 12v DC low-cog servo motors on both axes (right ascension and declination). Meade's Smart Drive offers PPEC training so that you can easily track through long exposures or just keep objects in your eyepiece for a good, long time without the need to adjust for drift. Also, there is no need to perform a meridian flip with the LX85 and an integrated guide port is ready and waiting to accept your favorite autoguider.
The LX85 mount is made of metal and is anodized with a white finish, while a few components, like the setting circles, are finished in “Meade Blue”. The LX85 mount breaks down into three lightweight pieces. The mount head weighs just 19.9 pounds, the tripod weighs 12.4 pounds, and the counterweight weighs 9 pounds. With weights as low as these, even older children and teens can set it up!
Use the AudioStar controller to find objects, do an easy alignment, move the mount electronically, or take a tour of the night's best objects.
With a database of over 30,000 objects and a built-in speaker, the Meade AudioStar will not only help you find objects with its easy, user-friendly interface, it can talk to you about a wide range of objects for a truly interactive experience.
If you don’t know what’s up in the sky on a particular evening, or don’t have a particular observing schedule in mind, let the Meade AudioStar show you “Tonight’s Best”. Choose the Tonight’s Best tour on the controller and you will be shown, you guessed it, the best objects in the sky for that particular date and time. The AudioStar controller has a multitude of functions for you to explore, such as digital positional readouts, a database of up to 200 user-defined objects, 9-Speed dual-axis movement, and much more.
The Meade LX85 has a weight capacity of approximately thirty-three (33) pounds, which allows you to ride a wide variety of telescopes on the mount and still have capacity left for accessories. Just attach an OTA with a Vixen-style dovetail to the saddle and add extra counterweights, if necessary, to balance the load. One 9-lb. counterweight is included with the LX85 mount package.
The adjustable aluminum and steel tripod included with the LX85 weighs just 12.4 pounds. The height of the steel legs can be adjusted so that the tripod will stand anywhere from 31.5” to 43.5” tall. A metal tripod leg spreader bar, which helps immensely with tripod stability, doubles as an accessory tray.
Meade 8" f/5 Newtonian Reflector Telescope
A Newtonian reflector is the perfect way to see into the furthest reaches of space without paying an astronomical price. The mirrored optics of the Meade LX85 reflector are less expensive to manufacture than the lenses of a refractor, and offer true color images to boot! Add the fact that an 8” Newtonian is much more portable and lightweight than a 8” refractor, and you can see why so many people jump into deep space with a Newtonian telescope!
The Meade LX85 8” Newtonian Reflector has a fast f/5 focal ratio, yielding bright, wide field images of the sky. Amateur astronomers who wish to try their hand at astro-imaging will appreciate the wide field of view.
A 8x50 finderscope helps you find objects by providing a low power (8X magnification) view of the sky. After you align the finder with your telescope, all you have to do is center an object of interest in the finderscope and then look through the eyepiece!
To start you off right, Meade is including two 1.25" eyepieces (a 26 mm and a 9 mm) with the LX85 package.
Meade LX85 GoTo Equatorial Mount Specs
- Mount Type: German Equatorial
- Hand Control: AudioStar
- Software DVD: Autostar Suite Astronomer Edition
- Supports ASCOM: Yes, via AudioStar Controller
- Motors: Dual Axis Low-Cog 12V DC Servo
- Power: 12VDC, 5amp power supply (User Supplied)
- Dovetail: Vixen Style
- Weight Capacity: 33 pounds
- Mount Weight: 10.9 pounds
- Mount Dimensions: 4.8" x 12.4" x 13.2"
- Tripod Weight: 12.4 pounds
- Tripod Dimensions (Collapsed): 39.5" x 5.75" x 6.25"
- Tripod Material: Aluminum castings with 1.75" diameter steel legs
- Tripod Height: Minimum is 31.5" and maximum is 43.5"
- Counterweight: One, 9 pounds
- Assembled Mount Weight: 34.1 pounds
- Assembled Mount Dimensions: 47.2" x 47.2" x 5.8"
- Accessories: Bubble Level Compass and Tripod Accessory Tray
Meade 8" LX85 Reflector Telescope Specs
Telescope Series: Meade LX85
Telescope Optical Design: Newtonian Reflector
Telescope Aperture: 8" (200mm)
Telescope Focal Ratio: f/5
Telescope Focal Length: 1000mm
Optical Coatings: Aluminum with SiO2 Coating
Telescope Counterweights Included: One 9 lb.
Telescope Tripod Included: Yes
Telescope Eyepiece(s) Included: Yes - 2 Eyepieces Included
Finder Included: Yes - 8 x 50 Finder Included
Telescope Mount Type: Equatorial
Telescope Mount Weight Capacity: 33lb.
Objects in Telescope Database: 30,000
Telescope OTA Width: 9.4"
Telescope OTA Length: 39.8"
Telescope OTA Weight: 18.4lb.
Telescope Mount Weight: 34.1lb.
Telescope Tripod Weight: 12.4lb.
Telescope Total Weight: 52.5lb.
Telescope Warranty Period: One Year