- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Meade 5" (4.72") Refractor on LX85 GoTo Equatorial Mount - 217001
Meade 5" f/5.8 Refractor on LX85 Computerized Equatorial Mount
The Meade R5 LX85 combines a 5" (120 mm) achromatic medium focal length refractor with the Meade GoTo Equatorial Mount and tripod. This versatile LX85 package is great for astrophotography, planetary and lunar work, as well as deep-sky observations of brighter galaxies, nebulae, star clusters and more. The 127mm refractor weighs just under 11 pounds, which means that there are about 20 pounds left of the LX85's weight capacity for you to add other accessories, like a camera, guider, and more.
Please Note: This mount requires a user-provided 12V DC power source and supply. We recommend the Meade Universal AC Power Adapter (07584) or the #607 DC Power Cord (07043) and a 12V Power Supply. Please see the Recommended Accessories for a full list of power options.
About the Meade LX85 German Equatorial Mount
The Meade LX85 is a lightweight yet sturdy, classic German equatorial mount that has been upgraded with an AudioStar hand controller for state-of-the-art GoTo electronics. The LX85 GEM is fitted with 12v DC low-cog servo motors on both axes (right ascension and declination). Meade's Smart Drive offers PPEC training so that you can easily track through long exposures or just keep objects in your eyepiece for a good, long time without the need to adjust for drift. Also, there is no need to perform a meridian flip with the LX85 and an integrated guide port is ready and waiting to accept your favorite autoguider.
The LX85 mount is made of metal and is anodized with a white finish, while a few components, like the setting circles, are finished in “Meade Blue”. The LX85 mount breaks down into three lightweight pieces. The mount head weighs just 19.9 pounds, the tripod weighs 12.4 pounds, and the counterweight weighs 9 pounds. With weights as low as these, even older children and teens can set it up!
Use the AudioStar controller to find objects, do an easy alignment, move the mount electronically, or take a tour of the night's best objects.
With a database of over 30,000 objects and a built-in speaker, the Meade AudioStar will not only help you find objects with its easy, user-friendly interface, it can talk to you about a wide range of objects for a truly interactive experience.
If you don’t know what’s up in the sky on a particular evening, or don’t have a particular observing schedule in mind, let the Meade AudioStar show you “Tonight’s Best”. Choose the Tonight’s Best tour on the controller and you will be shown, you guessed it, the best objects in the sky for that particular date and time. The AudioStar controller has a multitude of functions for you to explore, such as digital positional readouts, a database of up to 200 user-defined objects, 9-Speed dual-axis movement, and much more.
The Meade LX85 has a weight capacity of approximately thirty-three (33) pounds, which allows you to ride a wide variety of telescopes on the mount and still have capacity left for accessories. Just attach an OTA with a Vixen-style dovetail to the saddle and add extra counterweights, if necessary, to balance the load. One 9-lb. counterweight is included with the LX85 mount package.
The adjustable aluminum and steel tripod included with the LX85 weighs just 12.4 pounds. The height of the steel legs can be adjusted so that the tripod will stand anywhere from 31.5” to 43.5” tall. A metal tripod leg spreader bar, which helps immensely with tripod stability, doubles as an accessory tray.
About the Meade 5" Refractor Telescope
The Meade R5 achromatic refractor will strike a beautiful pose sitting atop the matching LX85 Equatorial Mount. The large 5" multi-coated optics and a focal ratio of f/5.8, the stars will shine like jewels on a dark background sky. This telescope is also lightweight at just 10.9 pounds. It is easy to attach to the Vixen-style cradle on the LX85 via a set of rings mounted on a compatible dovetail. In fact, the Meade 5" refractor is so compact and light it can be mounted on a simple alt-azimuth mount (sold separately) for times when you want a quick grab-and-go for terrestrial use or to catch a glimpse of a planet or passing comet.
The Meade 5" refractor optical tube assembly comes with a 2" 90-degree mirror diagonal and 2" to 1.25" adapter. This flexible arrangement allows you to use either 2" or 1.25" eyepieces or other barreled accessories. To start you off right, Meade is including two 1.25" eyepieces (a 26 mm and a 9 mm Super Plossl) as well as an 8 X 50 optical finder with the R5 LX85 package. Your new telescope will be ready for observing right out of the box!
Meade LX85 GoTo Equatorial Mount Specs
- Mount Type: German Equatorial
- Hand Control: AudioStar
- Software DVD: Autostar Suite Astronomer Edition
- Supports ASCOM: Yes, via AudioStar Controller
- Motors: Dual Axis Low-Cog 12V DC Servo
- Power: 12VDC, 5amp power supply (User Supplied)
- Dovetail: Vixen Style
- Weight Capacity: 33 pounds
- Mount Weight: 10.9 pounds
- Mount Dimensions: 4.8" x 12.4" x 13.2"
- Tripod Weight: 12.4 pounds
- Tripod Dimensions (Collapsed): 39.5" x 5.75" x 6.25"
- Tripod Material: Aluminum castings with 1.75" diameter steel legs
- Tripod Height: Minimum is 31.5" and maximum is 43.5"
- Counterweight: One, 9 pounds
- Assembled Mount Weight: 34.1 pounds
- Assembled Mount Dimensions: 47.2" x 47.2" x 5.8"
- Accessories: Bubble Level Compass and Tripod Accessory Tray
Meade 5" Refractor Specifications
- Optical Design: Achromatic Refractor
- Clear Aperture: 127mm (5")
- Focal Length: 700mm
- Focal Ratio: f/5.8
- Optical Coatings: Multi-Coated
- Diagonal: 2" 90-Degree Mirror
- Viewfinder: 8x50 Optical Finder with Crosshair
- Eyepieces: 26mm & 9mm Super Plossl - 1.25"
- Dovetail: Vixen-Style
- OTA Weight: 10.9 pounds
- OTA Dimensions: 5.8" x 28"