- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
QSI 620WS-8 Monochrome Cooled CCD Camera - QSI620WS8
QSI 620ws-8 Monochrome CCD Camera
with T-Mount Faceplate
Buy this Camera & Get a Filter Set for 50% Off! For a limited time, when you buy any new monochrome Atik or QSI camera (except the Atik LP) you will be eligible to purchase your choice of one Atik LRGB or Narrowband Filter Set at a substantially discounted price! If you are interested in this offer, put an eligible camera into your shopping cart and then visit the Atik Filter Sets page to choose your discounted filter set. Remember, you must have a new Atik or QSI mono camera in your shopping cart in order to take advantage of this offer. We will cancel any orders that do not follow these rules. Thanks.
- Sensor: Kodak KAI-2020M
- Megapixels: 2.0
- Pixel Size: 7.4µm
- Mono or Color: Monochrome
- Body Type: Full-8 Body
- Integrated Filter Wheel: Yes, 1.25" 8 Position, 31mm upgrade available
- Integrated Guide Port: No
- Faceplate Thread: T
- Back Focus with Faceplate Adapter: 1.40”
- Back Focus without Faceplate Adapter: 1.18”
- QSI Product Number: 620ws-8
The QSI 600 Series cameras, including the 620ws-8, provide dual read rates of up to 8 MHz with high-speed USB 2.0 and full 16-bit output for high quality images with high frame rates, as well as extremely wide dynamic range, excellent linearity and exceptionally low noise. Cooling is achieved with a custom 2-stage TEC supporting regulated cooling to greater than 45C, or greater than 50C with the optional Liquid Heat Exchanger.
All QSI 600 Series cameras utilize High Speed USB 2.0 port (USB 1.1 compatible) for connection to the host computer and imaging application software. Read and transfer time for an entire 2048 x 2048 image frame is typically approximately one-half a second in High Speed mode and less than 7 seconds in High Quality mode. The frame rate can be further increased by reading just a portion of the image (ROI) or with flexible on-chip binning.
The superb imaging performance of QSI 600 Series cameras is wrapped in an attractive, compact design with outstanding power efficiency and investment protecting upgradeability. The refined engineering and impressive fit, finish and attention to detail will surpass your highest expectations.
QSI 620ws-8 Camera Features…
Kodak KAI-2020M CCD Sensor: The QSI 620 camera uses the 2.0 megapixel Kodak KAI-2020M interline transfer CCD image sensor. The KAI-2020 monochrome sensor incorporates 7.4µm pixels in a 1600 x 1200 photoactive array, and uses microlens technology to increase optical response. The Kodak KAI-2020M has excellent quantum efficiency between 350nm and 1000nm with significant enhancement at the blue end of the spectrum.
Mechanical Shutter: The QSI 620WS-8 Camera comes with both an electronic shutter and a mechanical shutter. When operating with an interline transfer CCD, the mechanical shutter is not used to actually make the exposure. This is still the responsibility of the electronic shutter. The mechanical shutter is employed to cover the CCD and simplify the creation of Dark and Bias frames for subsequent image processing.
Full-8 Body & Integrated Filter Wheel: The QSI 620ws-8 uses the Full-8 body in order to make room for an internal eight position filter wheel. Engineered with extensive use of sophisticated CAD-CAM design tools, the QSI 600 Series camera body is CNC machined from aircraft grade aluminum alloy. The finely finished anodized body components are assembled with corrosion resistant stainless steel hardware throughout. Even with a large sensor, the short back focus and close spacing provided by the internal color filter wheel allows the 620ws-8 to produce unvignetted, filtered images even with fast optics. The standard filter wheel accepts standard threaded 1.25" filters*.
High Quality Read Mode: High Quality (HQ) Read Mode provides the lowest possible noise but requires a longer time to read the image from the sensor. High speed (HS) Read Mode reads the image from the sensor at 8 million pixels per second (8 MHz) supporting frame rates of up 15 fps depending on the camera model, ROI and binning.
USB 2.0, full 16-bit output: Pixel depth is a full 16-bits per pixel providing the smoothest color and gray scale transitions and the lowest noise.
Selectable ROI and binning: All QSI cameras have selectable Region of Interest (ROI) and binning for the most flexibility in framing your subject.
Output Hardware Trigger: QSI cameras can output a hardware signal out of the Control Port to trigger an external event such as a strobe.
Regulated Cooling: Cooling the CCD is essential for successful long exposure imaging. Cooling the sensor dramatically reduces the dark current and resulting thermal noise in an image and makes long exposures practical.
QSI 600 Series cameras use a very efficient thermo-electric cooler (TEC) which relies on the 'Peltier Effect' to cool the CCD. When power is applied to a TEC, one side of the device gets cold and other side gets hot, essentially pumping heat from the cold side to the hot side. All QSI 600 Series cameras employ a two-stage TEC to increase the differential cooling effect. The more power applied to the TEC, the greater the differential cooling and the colder the CCD can get. The heat pumped from the CCD, as well as the power dissipated by the TEC, creates a significant amount of excess heat that must be removed from the camera. The back of a QSI 600 Series camera acts as a large heatsink with cooling fins machined directly into the body. Two automatically controlled cooling fans force air through these fins. The movement of air through the cooling fins greatly increases the amount of heat removed from the camera. Keep in mind that the lowest temperature that the CCD can be cooled is limited by the ambient air temperature and the speed of the cooling fans. Achieving very low temperatures is easy when imaging outdoors during cooler weather. If it is particularly cold you may not even need to turn the fans on, but if it is too warm you may need the help of Liquid-Assisted Cooling, which is available optionally.
Power Efficiency: One of the defining features of the 600 Series cameras is power efficiency. A fully configured WS camera operates from a single 12v DC supply and consumes less than 24 watts at full cooling, with both fans at maximum and the filter wheel moving. Other camera model configurations have power consumption as low as 5 watts. Included with each camera is an approved 12 volt DC power supply with an input voltage range of 90-240V, 50-60HZ.
Guider Control Port: All QSI 600 Series cameras have a Guider Control Port (not to be confused with the integrated Guider Port on WSG models) that can be used in conjunction with MaxIm LE or other CCD imaging software to “guide” your telescope mount for long-duration astro-imaging. The Guider Port uses an RJ-25, 6-connector modular connector, and is normally only operational if the camera is being used as the 'Guider' camera, or if you’re using the QSI camera as your main imaging camera and have configured MaxIm to send guider correction signals through the ”Main Relays”. A 10-foot guider control port cable is supplied with the camera.
Notification: Both visual and audible notification is built into all 600 Series cameras. A multi-color LED status display provides visual indication of the various states of camera operation. The behavior of the indicator is configurable and can be disabled by user command. A unique internal beeper provides audible feedback of camera operation and status. Like the visual display, the beeper can be configured and disabled by the user.
QSI 620WS-8 Monochrome Camera Specifications
- Body Type: Full-8
- Shutter: Mechanical (Sensor has electronic shutter)
- Exposure Range: 0.03 sec to 240 min
- Internal Filter Wheel: Yes, 8 position for 1.25" threaded filters (upgradeable to 31mm)
- Integral Guider Port: No
- Dimensions: 5.86” w x 5.56” h x 2.5” d (add 0.23” for T-mount)
- Weight: 15 ounces (1450g)
- Back Focus with Faceplate T Mount Adapter (Included): 1.40”
- Back Focus with Faceplate C Mount Adapter (Optional): 1.18”
- Back Focus without Adapter: 1.18”
- Thermoelectric CCD Cooling: Temperature regulation +/- 0.1°C, @ 0°C to -40°C CCD temperature
- Cooling in Free Air, Fans @ Full Speed : Typically 40°C below ambient air with 85% cooling power
- Liquid Cooling (Optional) - Fans Off: Typically 45°C below circulating liquid with 85% cooling power (adds 0.75" to camera depth)
- Cooling Fan Control: Intelligent, user configurable
- Read Rate: User Selectable High Quality mode at 800KHz, High Speed mode at 8MHz
- Camera Gain: User Selectable High Gain 0.13 e-/ADU (default), Low Gain 0.28 e-/ADU
- Digital Resolution: 16 bits (both High Quality and High Speed mode)
- Total System Read Noise: <4 electrons RMS (typically <3.5 e- RMS, CCD specification limited) in High Quality mode Typically <7 electrons RMS (CCD specification limited) in High Speed mode
- Full Image Read and Download Time: Typically <16 second (host computer dependent) in High Quality Mode (800KHz), <2 second in High Speed Mode (8MHz), Image download times will be reduced with binning and/or subframe (ROI)
- Binning Modes: Symmetrical and Asymmetrical binning up to 9 pixels horizontally or vertically
- Status and Notification: User configurable multi-color LED status indicator and multifunction audible beeper. Over-temperature and high/low voltage alarms.
- Power Consumption: 12v, 2A (24 watts) at max cooling, max fans and filter moving (25 AC watts max with included 90-240V AC power supply)
- Operating Environment Temperature: -20°C to 30°C, Humidity 10% to 90% non-condensing
- Computer Connectivity: USB 2.0 High Speed (USB 1.1 compatible)
- Other Ports: Optically isolated 4 channel control port for telescope guiding or input/output shutter trigger (See API Reference Manual for details)
- Included T Mounting Adapter: T-Thread, 42mm x .75mm pitch
- Nosepiece: T-Adapter to 2"
Kodak KAI-2020M Sensor Specifications…
- CCD Sensor: Kodak KAI-2020 Monochrome
- CCD Architecture: Interline Transfer
- Microlens: Yes
- Anti-Blooming: Yes, 100X Suppression
- Imager Size (WxH): 11.84mm x 8.88mm
- Pixel Array (WxH): 1600 x 1200 active
- Pixel Size: 7.4µm x 7.4µm
- Pixel Full Well Depth: 40,000 e-
- Absolute Quantum Efficiency Peak: 55% at 500nm
- Pixel Dark Current: <0.1 electron per second at 0°C
- Intrinsic Read Noise: <8 electrons RMS
- Dynamic Range: 74db
- Charge Transfer Efficiency: >0.99999
1. Camera control software is not included with this camera, since many people already have software they prefer. If you do not purchase the Maxim LE upgrade at the time of camera purchase ($149), you will need to have your own camera control software.
2. *You can upgrade to an 8-Position Filter Wheel that accepts 31mm unmounted filters for $50 as long as you make this choice at the same time you purchase your camera. If you opt for the standard 1.25" filter wheel now but decide to use 31mm unmounted filters at a later time, you will need to purchase the appropriate retaining screws to accommodate the depth of your filters, and doing so will allow the standard filter wheel to accept 31mm unmounted filters.