- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Starlight Xpress Oculus All-Sky Camera with 150-Degree Lens
Starlight Xpress Oculus All Sky Camera
with 150º f/1.2 Fisheye Lens
- Image a huge swath of sky - perfect for meteor showers and keeping track of the weather at a remote observatory!
- The Oculus All-Sky Camera has extremely low thermal and readout noise
- The camera is compact and light weight
- Remarkably low power consumption
- Great build quality - the Oculus will last a long time!
The Starlight Xpress Oculus All-Sky Camera uses a SuperHAD monochrome CCD from Sony with all of the wonderful benefits of an interline Sony CCD, such as incredibly low thermal noise and very fast electronic shutter (no need for mechanical shutters). With exceedingly low noise electronics and a fast f/1.2 150 degree fisheye lens, capturing the night sky is an absolute dream. The SX Oculus is USB powered and driven, but it does require a 12DC input to drive the built-in anti-dew heaters. The supplied software allows you to capture a series of exposures and add them together to create a dramatic AVI movie of the night sky. This is the perfect camera for imaging meteor showers, viewing the weather conditions at a remote observatory, or imaging the night sky in a spectacular and unique way.
The lens used in the Oculus is a high quality, multicoated fisheye lens with a 150 degree field of view. With a very low F/2.5 focal ratio, the light gathering capacity of this small lens is incredibly good and imaging the night sky is very simple.
Permanently mounting electronic equipment outside in all sorts of weather is always a concern. With the Starlight Xpress Oculus, great care has been taken during the design process to incredibly reduce weather affects on the camera. Four drain holes have been machined into the outer flange at the base of the dome allowing water to simply run off the dome and down the outside of the housing. The housing has a beautiful bead-blasted, clear anodized finish which is hard-wearing and looks stunning.
The Oculus dome is a quality, highly polished polycarbonate 3” dome with the lens positioned at the optimum point in the dome to ensure there is no distortion in the star field. The Oculus comes with a right-angle aluminum tripod bracket to secure it to the side of your dome or building. The bracket has the standard 1⁄4” tripod thread on the base but can also be easily drilled and adapted for other mounting options.
The USB cable comes fitted to the Oculus and can be extended using powered USB2.0 hubs. The Oculus also has a 2.1mm power socket in the rear to allow the supplied power supply to connect and power the heaters in the Oculus to ensure the dome does not dew up during the evening.
Starlight Xpress Oculus All-Sky Cam Specifications
- CCD type: ICX205AL Sony SuperHAD interline CCD with low dark current and vertical anti- blooming.
- CCD Full resolution pixel data: Pixel size: 4.65uM x 4.65uM,
- Image format: 1392 x 1040 pixels
- CCD quality: Grade 1
- Spectral Response: QE max at 520nM (~50%), 30% at 420nM and 670nM.
- Readout Noise: RMS - typically only 7 electrons.
- Full-well capacity: Greater than 15,000 e- (unbinned)
- Anti-blooming: Overload margin greater than 1000x.
- Dark current: Less than 0.1 electrons/second @ + 10C ambient.
- Data format: 16 bits.
- Lens details: 2.5mm FL F/1.2 150 degree ‘Fish Eye’
- Computer Interface: Built-in USB 2.0
- Image download time: Typically 0.6 seconds at full resolution using USB 2.0.
- Power requirements: Camera is USB powered, dew heater requires 12v at 1 amp max.
- Input connection: ‘Mini B’ USB socket for USB2.0 and a 2.1mm jack for +12v heater supply.
- Overall size: 150mm tall x 95mm diameter, including the polycarbonate weather dome.
- Cooling system: Ambient air cooling.