- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Starlight Xpress UltraStar Imaging and Guiding Camera - Color - ULTRASTAR-C
Starlight Xpress Ultrastar Color Camera
for Imaging and Guiding
For years, the Starlight Xpress Lodestar has been considered by many to be not only the best autoguider on the market, but an amazingly good Galaxy Imager. The SX UltraStar, with its Sony 2/3” format ExView II progressive scan color CCD sensor, takes both of these applications to a whole new level with almost twice the imaging area of the Lodestar.
Key Features of the Starlight Xpress UltraStar:
- Big things come in small packages and the Ultrastar is no exception. This compact guide camera is 1.25” in diameter, allowing it to drop neatly into a standard eyepiece holder without requiring any additional adapters.
- The UltraStar has a large imaging area (8.98mm x 6.71mm), giving you a wide field of view for framing galaxies or finding a suitable guide star.
- With an impressive 75% QE and large pixels, the Ultrastar sucks up those photons with ease. Sensitivity is key, but combined with the incredibly low noise of the Ultrastar, images are acquired even easier.
- The Starlight Xpress UltraStar sports a full size RJ12 autoguider port, so there’s no need to run extra cables from your computer to control your mount corrections.
- Powered by the USB port on your computer to keep cables to a minimum. There’s no need to have an extra power supply for your camera - one less thing to forget when you are on your way to a star party.
- The UltraStar is compact yet sturdy, with solid aluminum construction.
The Starlight Xpress Ultrastar is an excellent entry level imaging camera. When used with “Starlight LIVE” software, the camera can be easily configured to take a series of continuous short exposures, automatically adding the images together as it goes, building up the image in front of your very eyes. This concept is perfect for public outreach programs where the images can be seen “developing” in real time, ensuring that not only photons are captured, but also their imagination. Schools and curriculum-based astronomy projects will also benefit greatly from this form of imaging.
The Ultrastar is incredibly compact in size. It is powered and driven through the mini-USB connection on the rear of the camera, (<200mA drawn from the USB socket), which makes it perfect for mobile setups and remote field operation as well being easily transported. Combine all of these features with the free ‘Starlight LIVE’ software, and Live Viewing imaging is suddenly amazingly simple and very effective.
Conventional long-exposure imaging is also perfectly practical with the Ultrastar. The camera is uncooled, but its dark signal is very low and any warm pixels are easily removed by applying hot pixel filters, or by stacking ‘dithered’ images. Conventional dark frame subtraction can also be used. It is also supplied with original Starlight Xpress imaging software.
Starlight Xpress UltraStar Color Camera Specifications
- CCD type: ICX825AL Sony Exview interline CCD with very low dark current and vertical anti-blooming
- Pixel size: 6.45uM x 6.45uM
- Image format: 1392 x 1040 pixels
- CCD Image area: 8.98mm (Horizontal) x 6.71mm (Vertical)
- CCD quality: Grade 1
- Full-well capacity: Greater than 23,000 e- (unbinned)
- Anti-blooming: Overload margin greater than 1000x
- Dark current: Dark frame saturation time greater than 1 hour. Less than 0.1 electrons/second @ + 10C ambient
- Data format: 16 bits
- System gain: 0.3 e/ADU
- Computer Interface: Built-in USB 2.0 compatible interface
- Image download time: 2 frames per second (in full resolution)
- Power requirements: USB powered
- Cooling system: Ambient air cooling
- Size: 31.75 x 85mm black anodized aluminum barrel with 1” x 32 tpi C mount thread at the CCD window end & input/output plugs at rear
- Weight: Approximately 3 ounces