- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Astrodon 3 nm OIII Narrowband Filter - 49.7 mm Round Unmounted - OIII3-50R
About Astrodon Narrowband Filters
Astrodon filters are high performing, durable filters that provide significant aid for astrophotography and research pursuits. Each filter is constructed using a highly innovative process with a single high quality 3 mm thick fused silica substrate and full hard oxide sputtered coatings. With these Astrodon Narrowband filters, imagers can count on consistently high performance, as well as a more narrow spectrum compared to most other filters for superb contrast and the ability to view the faintest nebula detail. Astrodon guarantees >90%T performance at the emission line.
Astrodon 3 nm Narrowband Filter Highlights
- Guaranteed 90%+ maximum transmission for the highest achievable performance
- 3 nm bandwidth
- >OD 4 (0.01% transmission) out-of-band blocking
- Clear 1/4 wave substrates feature hard-oxide coatings to the edge, removing light leakage from uncoated rims
- Edge blackened to reduce reflections
- Parfocal with all other filters made by Astrodon
Astrodon 3 nm OIII Narrowband Filter
Following the additions of the H-Alpha and OIII filters, the next filter you'll need to add to your collection is the SII or Sulfur II filter, especially if you want to view Hubble Space Telescope (HST) images like the popular "Pillars of Creation" (Eagle Nebula, Messier 16). Like the H-Alpha filter, the SII filter also has a deep red color close to 672 nm. For many emission nebulae, H-Alpha, OIII, and SII filters all give you that Hubble look. Tri-color narrowband imaging using these three filters is possible with the Moon up so your imaging gear doesn't have to be sidelined for weeks at a time.
Astrodon Narrowband Filters - Additional Information
Astrodon Narrowband filters set a new standard for imaging and research performance and durability. These filters enhance contrast in emission line objects via narrow 5 nm and 3 nm bandwidths. With a transmittance guaranteed to be above 90% at the emission wavelength, these filters offers the highest signal available. This guarantee combined with a spectrally narrow bandwidth ensures maximum contrast. As a matter of fact, the latest narrowband filters from Astrodon typically achieve a transmittance of between 95 and 98%. Even when taking exposures common to narrowband astrophotography, typically 30-45 minutes in length, these Astrodon Narrowband filters still have the ability to keep halos around bright stars at a minimum, a feature for which these filters are renowned. Finally, these filters are edge-blackened with hard-oxide coatings from edge to edge to eliminate the chance that an uncoated border will cause light leakage. This is critical to keeping stray light to a minimum for a filter that blocks all light save for the narrow bandpass.
The enhanced contrast these Astrodon Narrowband filters provide is their most distinguishing trait. With improved contrast, faint detail in emission line objects like planetary nebulae and supernova remnants becomes more apparent. This effect is even more pronounced with narrower bandwidth filters. With a filter that's spectrally narrower, however, the difficult part is maintaining a constant signal (% transmission at the emission line). This is why Astrodon's >90%T guarantee is so important as it provides assurance that you'll be able to take advantage of the upgrade in contrast these narrow bandwidth filters offer.