- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Astrodon 5 nm OIII Narrowband Filter - 49.7 mm Square Unmounted - OIII5-50S
About Astrodon Narrowband Filters
Astrodon filters are high performing, durable filters that provide significant aid for astrophotography and research pursuits. Each filter is constructed using a highly innovative process with a single high quality 3 mm thick fused silica substrate and full hard oxide sputtered coatings. With these Astrodon Narrowband filters, imagers can count on consistently high performance, as well as a more narrow spectrum compared to most other filters for superb contrast and the ability to view the faintest nebula detail. Astrodon guarantees >90%T performance at the emission line.
Astrodon 5 nm Narrowband Filter Highlights
- Guaranteed 90%+ maximum transmission for the highest achievable performance
- 5 nm bandwidth
- >OD 4 (0.01% transmission) out-of-band blocking
- Clear 1/4 wave substrates feature hard-oxide coatings to the edge, removing light leakage from uncoated rims
- Edge blackened to reduce reflections
- Parfocal with all other filters made by Astrodon
Astrodon 5 nm OIII Narrowband Filter
After the H-Alpha filter has been incorporated into your collection, the next filter you should consider adding is the OIII filter. The OIII (or Oxygen 3) filter transmits light near 500 nm and has a bluish-green or teal color. Taken with only H-Alpha and OIII filters, faint structural detail of planetary nebulae and supernova remnants is emphasized with natural color as if the image were taken using RGB filters.
Astrodon Narrowband Filters - Additional Information
Astrodon Narrowband filters set a new standard for imaging and research performance and durability. These filters enhance contrast in emission line objects via narrow 5 nm and 3 nm bandwidths. With a transmittance guaranteed to be above 90% at the emission wavelength, these filters offers the highest signal available. This guarantee combined with a spectrally narrow bandwidth ensures maximum contrast. As a matter of fact, the latest narrowband filters from Astrodon typically achieve a transmittance of between 95 and 98%. Even when taking exposures common to narrowband astrophotography, typically 30-45 minutes in length, these Astrodon Narrowband filters still have the ability to keep halos around bright stars at a minimum, a feature for which these filters are renowned. Finally, these filters are edge-blackened with hard-oxide coatings from edge to edge to eliminate the chance that an uncoated border will cause light leakage. This is critical to keeping stray light to a minimum for a filter that blocks all light save for the narrow bandpass.With Astrodon Narrowband filters, it's all about the enhanced contrast. The better the contrast, the more the fainter characteristics of celestial objects are highlighted. This improves with filters that have narrower bandwidths. However, maintaining a constant signal (%T at the emission line) as the filter gets spectrally narrower can be difficult. This is what makes Astrodon's >90%T guarantee so critical as it assures that you'll be able to benefit from the enhanced contrast provided by narrower filters.
Main image may not depict the exact filter you will receive.