- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Orion SkyQuest XX16g Go To Truss Dobsonian Telescope - 08968
Orion SkyQuest XX16g Go To Truss Dobsonian Telescope Highlights
- The Orion 16" truss-tube GoTo Dob presents a perfect combination of big-aperture optics and sophisticated, fully motorized object location technology for the ultimate in Dobsonian telescope performance and observing convenience
- A big, 16" aperture telescope designed for maximum portability - both the optical tube and Dobsonian base can be broken down quickly without tools into easily manageable components for convenient transport in any standard size car
- Features accurate, motorized GoTo pointing and tracking of over 42,000 celestial objects within its GoTo system database, and enough aperture for great views of each one
- Closed-loop electronics forgive accidental bumps and allow the telescope to be moved manually without losing alignment of the GoTo system. Heavy-duty clutches on both axes allow independent adjustment of motion to desired level of resistance
- Huge 16" (406mm) diameter, convex-back parabolic primary mirror with enhanced, 94% reflectivity aluminum coating delivers outstanding views of faint deep-sky objects.
More about the Orion SkyQuest XX16g Truss Dobsonian Telescope
The XX16G is Orion's largest Dobsonian reflector yet! It is an ideal combination of three key telescope features: large aperture, convenient portability, and precise GoTo object location. Thanks to its 16" aperture parabolic primary mirror, the Orion SkyQuest XX16g GoTo Truss Tube Dobsonian will astound you with spectacular views of the night sky. Its Orion-designed collapsible Dobsonian base and 8-pole truss optical tube makes transportation of this hefty telescope easy since the entire telescope can be disassembled without tools into small, manageable component pieces that can fit in virtually any standard size car. You'll be able to enjoy the XX16g's large-aperture optics thanks to the accurate, motorized GoTo system which will automatically locate and track any of over 42,000 celestial curiosities within its computerized database of night sky objects.
The powerful, high-tech, and downright BIG SkyQuest XX16g 16" GoTo Truss Tube Dobsonian takes deep-sky observing to new space-penetrating depths. It is the latest and largest in our line of fully automatic GoTo truss tube Dobsonians. For serious amateur astronomers seeking big-aperture exhilaration, state-of-the-art GoTo electronics, and a clever Dobsonian design that is transportable in almost any size vehicle -- the XX16g is an ideal "lifetime" telescope!
Wait, you're thinking, it fits in almost any size vehicle? Yes, you can take this big telescope with you, because both the Dobsonian base and optical tube of the XX16g were engineered by Orion to quickly disassemble - without tools - into easily manageable components, the heaviest of which (base groundplate assembly) weighs 61.4 lbs.
Although its components are designed for convenient portability, we understand that many stargazers will commonly use the XX16g in the backyard or other observing site close to home. With this in mind, we've come up with two different solutions that allow you to easily move the fully assembled XX16g from garage to yard and back again; the Orion Heavy Duty Cart for Large Dobsonians (sold separately), and the Orion Wheel Kit for SkyQuest XX16g GoTo Dobsonian (coming soon).
Both the 16"-diameter (406mm), lightweight parabolic primary mirror and 91mm minor-axis secondary mirror of the SkyQuest XX16g are made of low-expansion glass and feature enhanced 94% reflectivity aluminum coatings for optimal observing performance. The XX16g delivers a giant 77% jump in light grasp compared to a 12" Dobsonian reflector, and even a sizeable 30% gain over a 14" aperture telescope! Those elusive celestial objects you once considered "faint fuzzies" won't be nearly so faint or so fuzzy through the SkyQuest XX16g GoTo Truss Tube Dobsonian! You'll enjoy views that simply cannot be seen in smaller telescopes.
The lightweight primary mirror cools more efficiently than standard flat-back parabolic mirrors, thanks to its thin, curved-back design. The primary mirror is held in place by an open-ventilation mirror cell which also helps the mirror to acclimate quickly. This special mirror cell features three large knurled knobs for easy collimation adjustments, and can accommodate an optional 12V Three Fan Cooling System (sold separately) for even faster temperature equilibration.
While the XX16g is easy to disassemble for convenient portability, once it's assembled it is a very solid telescope. The rigid 8-pole truss tube provides great structural rigidity of the optical tube and virtually eliminates flexure that can affect 6- and 3-pole designs. The XX16g GoTo Dobsonian base utilizes thick, 1" composite wood panels for extra-strong support, and features perpendicular struts that brace the side panels when assembled for rock-solid performance. All base boards are laminated with water-resistant melamine.
The XX16g's SynScan GoTo system includes a database of over 42,000 celestial objects. Dual optical encoders and servo motors in each axis pinpoint any object you select with the backlit hand controller and track its motion. The closed-loop electronics let you slew the telescope by hand if desired, while still maintaining the GoTo alignment. Heavy-duty clutch knobs on both axes can be adjusted to the desired level of resistance.
If you were to point the XX16g Dobsonian optical tube straight up, the telescope eyepiece would be positioned 72-3/8" (6.03') above the ground. Of course, during most observing sessions the eyepiece will be considerably lower than this maximum height, but no matter where you point the XX16g at night, you're sure to be astonished by the bright, sharply detailed views this amazing telescope provides.
The SkyQuest XX16g comes equipped with a 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser with 1.25" adapter, and includes a 28mm 2" DeepView eyepiece and a 12.5mm illuminated reticle eyepiece for precise GoTo system alignment. Other accessories include an EZ Finder II reflex sight, eyepiece rack, GoTo hand controller bracket, 12V DC power cable, and RS-232 cable for firmware updates. A 12V field battery or AC-to-DC adapter (sold separately) is required for motorized operation.
An optional Light Shroud for the optical tube is also available and highly recommended (Light Shroud sold separately). Keep your XX16g optical tube safe and clean during transport or storage with the recommended optional Case Set (sold separately).
It's a BIG telescope you can take anywhere! Get the Orion SkyQuest XX16g and enjoy jaw-dropping views of the night sky in a big yet pleasantly portable GoTo Dobsonian telescope.
WARNING! When using a truss tube Dobsonian telescope for solar observing, always use a Light Shroud and a properly sized solar filter. When you install the Light Shroud make certain there are no gaps between the Shroud and the telescope where direct sunlight can reach the telescope mirror. When a truss tube telescope (equipped with a solar filter but no Light Shroud) is pointing near (not at) the Sun, direct sunlight can hit the mirror and focus on the solar filter or other portions of the telescope. This can lead to eye injury or damage to the telescope. Using a Light Shroud protects your telescope from peripheral sunlight.
Before using any telescope for solar observing, make sure to install all dustcaps or other protective covers on all optical components such as finder scopes to keep sunlight from passing through them. Glancing through an uncovered optical system, even for an instant, can cause permanent eye damage. Always install protective caps on all optical instruments if left out during daylight hours.
Meets or exceeds all California State Environmental Quality & Safety Regulations (CARB 93120 Phase 2 Compliant).