- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 130AZ Newtonian Reflector Telescope - 22461
Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 130AZ Reflector
with Smartphone & StarSense Explore App Assist!
Celestron has reinvented the manual telescope with the addition of the StarSense Explorer — the first telescope series that uses your smartphone to analyze the night sky and calculate its position on earth in real time with the help of the free StarSense Explorer app for Apple and Android smartphones. StarSense Explorer telescopes are ideal for beginners thanks to the app’s user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials, but more experienced amateur astronomers will also appreciate the 5" reflector and fun technology that puts your smartphone to work. It’s like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky. Check out this short introductory video to get a better idea of how the Celestron StarSense Explorer telescopes work!
The StarSense Explorer DX 130 mm Newtonian Reflector Telescope from Celestron is a great scope for just about anyone who would like a tech-savvy yet lightweight reflector. By placing your StarSense Explore app-enabled smartphone in the specially designed dock, it will analyze the night sky and calculate celestial object positions in real time. The 5" (130 mm) aluminized mirror is capable of seeing hundreds of objects, including several planets, galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters, and fast f/5 focal ratio produces very pleasing wide field views.
Key Features of a StarSense Explorer Telescope
- Amazing! This big 5" Newtonian reflector and it's very user-friendly and lightweight manual mount provides many of the thrills of a computerized telescope...at a fraction of the cost!
- The break-though docking station works with your smartphone to give the StarSense Explorer app a real-time view of the sky, and the patented sky recognition technology takes it from there!
- The sky view beautifully depicted on your smartphone screen updates as you move the telescope…no cell signal required!
- Easy-to-use StarSense Explorer app creates a Tonight’s Best list, making it fast and easy to choose and look at a large selection of objects.
- Bright orange arrows show you the way to your chosen object! Just move the telescope as you watch the screen, and when the green bullseye appears, look in the eyepiece.
- StarSense Explorer telescopes can be used anywhere in the world and require no power, but your smartphone does so we recommend you find a portable power supply to keep the good times rolling!
Please Note : The cell phone brackets are shipped upside down in order to protect the brackets during shipping. You must physically rotate the holder in order to use it correctly.
About the StarSense Explorer App
The Celestron StarSense Explorer telescope system uses your smartphone as a self-contained plate solving system. Simply put, plate solving is the same technology used by big observatory telescopes and orbiting satellites to determine the current pointing position by extracting star pattern data from images of the night sky. Celestron’s StarSense Explorer is the first app designed to use the power of plate solving to figure out a smartphone's current pointing position, and when coupled with the specially designed smartphone dock on a Celestron StarSense Explorer telescope, you have a manual telescope system that has the ability to capture an image of the night sky, process that image, extract the star pattern data and determine the center coordinates, all by itself, without requiring telescope alignment from the user.
When you launch the app for the first time you’ll follow a simple two-step process that aligns your smartphone's camera with the telescope's field of view. Once set up, the app displays a scene of the night sky and a bullseye to show you where it is currently looking. Now it is up to you to decide what you want to look at. Easiest and fastest way to do that is simply to choose from the Tonight's Best observing list, which is automatically generated to show you popular objects that are currently visible from your location. Depending on the time of year, your location and the time of night, the list might include planets like Jupiter or Saturn, galaxies, nebulae, star clusters and more.
Choose an object from the list and you will see bright orange arrows pointing you to its location. Keep an eye on your smartphone’s screen and you will notice that as you move the telescope the app will update the pointing location in real time. Keep moving your telescope closer to your target until the arrows disappear and a green bullseye takes its place, letting you know that your chosen celestial object is in your telescope’s field of view! StarSense Explorer technology really is a game-changer!The StarSense Explorer dock is not just any old smartphone holder for your telescope! It has a specially designed integrated mirror that works in conjunction with your smartphone’s camera to gather star pattern data for the StarSense Explorer app. A built-in shade keeps stray light from reflecting off the mirror and messing with the data. X-Y adjustment knobs allow the dock to hold many different smartphone sizes and oftentimes the case can be left in place. The StarSense Explorer telescopes work with a wide range of smartphones, including the iPhone 6 or higher and Android 7.1.2 smartphones that were manufactured in 2016 onward and have a camera, gyro and accelerometer sensor. For a complete list of compatible smartphones, take a look in the Files section on this page and download the PDF.
You can find the app download in the Apple App Store or Google Play. You can also search "Celestron StarSense Explorer" in either store and download the app from the given results. The app is large, so downloading the app with WiFi enabled and connected is suggested. Once the download is complete, open the app and enter the activation code included on the orange postcard found in the telescope's box. This activation code will unlock the app for up to five devices.
More About the Telescope Itself
The Celestron 130 mm StarSense Explorer DX couldn't be easier to use, but it has the light-gathering capability to see deep into the heavens. The telescope tube is a classic Newtonian reflector design with a big 5" diameter mirror. The alt-azimuth mount has slip clutches and geared dual-axis slow motion controls that allow you to move the telescope up, down, right or left with almost no effort. Just turn the slow motion control knob to re-center an object as it moves through your field of view. A full-sized metal tripod is included and comes complete with a spreader bar for stability topped off by a handy accessory storage tray. You can use the Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 130AZ telescope without the help of your smartphone if you wish. Celestron has even included a red dot finder for times when you want to see if you can find objects all by yourself!
About the Accessories Included with this Telescope
- StarSense Smartphone Dock : This dock is made to work in conjunction with your smartphone and holds it securely in place so your hands are free to move the telescope.
- Two Eyepieces : Celestron has included a 25mm and a 10 mm eyepiece so you can start using the telescope right out of the box. The 25 mm produces a magnification of 26X and is perfect to use first when the bullseye on your smartphone says it's time to look at your object! A 10 mm eyepiece is also included and provides 65X magnification for a closer look.
- StarPointer Red Dot Finder : The included red dot finderscope is perfect for times when you are not using your smartphone with the app to find objects for you. It is simple to use.
- Tripod Accessory Tray : With this accessory tray, you will be able to stay organized and have your accessories readily available during observations. It can hold up to 6 1.25" barreled accessories, two 2" accessories, and there is also room to place smaller items, like filters, loose in the tray.