ZWO ASI224MC Color Imaging Camera
ZWO ASI224MC Color CMOS Imaging Camera
This highly sensitive astro-camera from ZWO has been producing some great deep-sky images from the beta testers! Sony worked hard to create a sensor that had extremely low noise and high sensitivity, and the IMX224 has hit the mark. The ZWO ASI224MC will work great for imaging objects in and out of our Solar System!
The ZWO ASI224MC Color CMOS Imaging Camera follows in the footsteps of the ASI120 when it comes to cutting-edge functionality like a high speed USB 3.0 port, an ST4 guide port, a standard 2” interface with M42 x 0.75 internal threads, a 1/4” tripod thread mount on the back, and an AR window. However, the ZWO ASI224 camera has one important difference, and that is the inclusion of a Sony IMX224 Color CMOS sensor. This image sensor has a lot going for it when it comes to high quality solar, lunar, planetary, and deep sky imaging.
Sony IMX224 CMOS Sensor Features
- The Sony IMX224 sensor offers extremely low read noise (1.5e) and high sensitivity, especially in the IR range.
- The image array for the IMX224 is 1305 X 977, with a pixel size of 3.75 microns.
- This ZWO camera has a gain range of 0 - 60 dB.
- The sensitivity of the pixel Sony developed for this sensor is twice that of their existing product.
- Sensitivity has been improved in the near infrared light region.
- The IMX224 is a Sony Exmor high performance CMOS image sensor with high speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation by using column-parallel A/D conversion.
- Everything you will need to control your ZWO camera is available and easily downloadable in one centralized location on the ZWO website. Click here for ZWO Software Downloads.
ASIair Plus Camera Control (sold separately)
There is a wireless camera control solution available for this camera, and it's called the ZWO ASIair Plus. This small wireless module allows you to focus, take images, make adjustments with your smartphone or tablet, and even do plate solving and computerized mount control with the built-in SkySafari bridge. If you'd like to add an ASIair Plus to your camera order, you can find it in the suggested accessories section.
ZWO ASI224 Color CMOS Camera Specifications
- Sensor: Sony 1/3” IMX224 Color CMOS
- Resolution: 1.27M
- Image Array: 1305 x 977
- Pixel Size: 3.75um
- Max Frame Rate at Full Resolution: 150 FPS
- Max Frame Rate at 640 x 480: 299.4 FPS
- Window: AR
- Guide Port: ST4
- Shutter: Rolling
- Exposure Range: 32us - 1000s
- Read Noise: 1.5e
- Gain Range: 0 - 60 db
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit Rate: 12bit output (12 bit ADC)
- Adapter: 2” to 1.25”/M42 x 0.75
- Dimensions: 62 mm Diameter by 36 mm
- Weight: 120g
- Working Temperature: -5ºC - 45ºC
- Peak QE: 75%-80%
- Working Relative Humidity: 20% - 80%
Please Note: This camera works with Windows 8.1 as long as you have the recommended driver installed (available on the ZWO website at zwoptical.com).