- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Explore Scientific 2" 2x Focal Extender - FE02-020
Explore Scientific 2" - 2x Focal Extender
A Focal Extender does exactly what the name implies; it extends the effective focal length of the lens that it is used in conjunction with, thus producing higher magnifications for imaging and visual applications.
Focal extenders are similar to a Barlow or tele-negative lens, but there is one important difference between the two that you will want to take into consideration, especially if you plan to use the Explore Scientific Focal Extender for imaging and astro-photography.
When you use a standard Barlow or tele-negative lens to increase the magnification of your optical system, your results will be dependent on where you place the Barlow in the optical chain. For instance, if you put a 2X Barlow lens in front of your diagonal instead of behind it (Barlow-Diagonal-Eyepiece as opposed to Diagonal-Barlow-Eyepiece), you won't get 2X magnification in both set-ups. The magnification varies with placement. However, with an Explore Scientific Focal Extender, even if the distance is changed, the magnification remains the same. You can place your Focal Extender anywhere along the optical chain between an eyepiece or a camera, and if you are supposed to get 2X magnification, you will get 2X magnification.
When it comes to imaging, this is a critical difference, because you may want to introduce an accessory like a flip mirror or filter wheel in between the Focal Extender and a CCD camera, which would increase the distance to the focused image. This difference in design allows users to rest easy, whether they are pumping up the magnification of a lower power eyepiece for visual observations or using their Explore Focal Extender in imaging applications.
Explore Scientific Focal Extender Highlights
More Magnification Choices without Sacrificing Eye Relief A good Focal Extender adds some real versatility to your telescope accessory line-up. First of all, it allows you to increase the magnification of any eyepiece with the same barrel size that you already own. In other words, 3 eyepieces offer 6 magnification choices with the addition of a focal extender. Secondly, most of the time, lower magnification eyepieces have better eye relief than higher power models. When using a focal extender to increase your magnification, you get to enjoy the generous eye relief of the lower power eyepiece, and that's quite a bonus, especially for eyeglass wearers or for those with fast telescopes who can really push high magnification eyepieces. Remember, we make focal extenders in 2X, 3X and 5x models, so there is something for every style of telescope.
Optimized Optical Design Explore Focal Extenders are optimized through each design, fabrication, and testing process to produce high contrast, high resolution images.
Durable Coatings & Finishing Touches Each of the four elements in your Explore Scientific Focal Extender is fully multi-coated with EMD enhanced coatings, resulting in bright, sharp images; and every element has blackened edges to reduce internal reflections and increase contrast.
Tapered Barrel for Extra Security The insert barrel of each extender is double-tapered to allow smooth insertion to, and removal from, a telescope's eyepiece holder, focuser or diagonal, however the wide dimension of the taper helps prevent the focal extender from falling out of the telescope should the set-screw holding it in place become loose. The barrel is threaded to accept 2" filters.
Product Number: FE02-020
Barrel Size: 2" with 1.25" Adapter
Barrel Threaded: Yes, to accept 2" filters
Weight: 26.5 oz
Limited Warranty is one year, which converts to the Explore STAR Transferable Extended Life of the Product Warranty when product is registered on explorescientific.com within 60 days of purchase.