- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Celestron CGX-L 1100 SCT Computerized Telescope - 12071
Celestron CGX-L 1100 SCT
11" SCT on CGXL Computerized GoTo EQ Mount
11" SCT on CGXL Computerized GoTo EQ Mount
A classic OTA on a stunning mount! The Celestron 1100 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope has been around a long time, and there is a good reason why! At just 27.5 pounds, the Celestron C11 is reasonably portable, but it gathers a heck of a lot of light! Peer into the far reaches of deep space with your own eyes or with your choice of DSLR or CCD camera and explore galaxies, nebulae, star clusters, and more. With 75 pounds of load capacity, the extra heavy-duty CGX-L computerized equatorial mount can handle the 11" OTA with plenty of room for a multitude of accessories. Both the mount itself and the CGX-L tripod have been re-designed to track and point with great accuracy, even under load. The included software, co-designed by engineers from Celestron and Planewave Instruments, will allow you to increase pointing accuracy with multi-point mount modeling, and you can even polar align without the need for extra accessories with the built in Software Polar Align and its All-Star Polar Alignment. You can read more about the Celestron 1100 OTA and the CGX-L mount below:
Features of the Celestron C11 Aluminum Optical Tube
- 11" f/10 Schmidt-Cassegrain optics with StarBright XLT coatings produce bright, sharp images
- The Celestron 1100 SCT OTA has an aluminum tube and weighs 27.5 pounds.
- The classic f/10 optics can be converted to f/6.3 with an optional focal reducer
- Accessories include a 9x50 finder scope, a 1.25" diagonal, and a 40 mm eyepiece that will provide 70x magnification
- A Celestron Orange CGE dovetail rail is attached to the OTA, making it easy to connect to the included CGX-L mount, or any other mount that accepts a Losmandy-style dovetail.
Celestron 1100 SCT OTA Specifications
- Optical Design: Schmidt-Cassegrain
- Aperture: 279.4 mm (11 in)
- Focal Length: 2800 mm (110 in)
- Focal Ratio: 10
- Focal Length of Eyepiece: 40 mm ( 1.57in)
- Magnification of Eyepiece: 70x
- Finderscope: 9x50
- Star Diagonal: 1.25"
- Optical Tube: Aluminum
- Highest Useful Magnification: 660 x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 40 x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 14.7
- Resolution (Rayleigh): 0.5 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes): 0.42 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 1593 x
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction: 3.75 in (95 mm)
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter: 34%
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area: 12%
- Optical Coatings: StarBright / XLT
- Optical Tube Length: 24 in (610 mm)
- Optical Tube Weight: 27.5 lb (12 kg)
- Dovetail Compatibility: CGE Mount
Features of the Celestron CGX-L Mount
- The CGX-L has larger, 144 mm diameter worm wheels to handle heavier loads and drive them accurately. The worm wheel is made of brass and is spring-loaded, and together with the stainless steel worm gear, they provide excellent gear mesh and reduce friction, creating a buttery smooth belt drive system.
- The right ascension and declination motors used on the Celestron CGX-L have more torque for improved tracking and slewing under load. Working together with the belt drive system, you’ll experience minimal backlash and worry-free operation. You can even watch the pulleys and belts working through the motor cover windows!
- Celestron has increased the number of auxiliary ports to four (4), and has even added an additional autoguider port so that you have maximum flexibility when it comes to electronic accessories. Two of the AUX ports and an Autoguider port are built in just below the dovetail saddle, making it easy to plug in extra accessories like the StarSense or WiFi module and not worry about the cord causing a problem as the mount moves. Speaking of cabling, those required to run the mount are run internally, so even if you are running your CGX-L remotely, you don’t have to worry about cable snags.
- Mechanical hard stops and limit sensors on both axes protect the Celestron CGX-L from hitting the tripod or causing undue stress on the cables. Built-in limit sensors will actually stop the mount from slewing or tracking further before the CGX-L reaches the hard stop fail safe.
- Home sensors are built into the CGX-L mount, making it a great choice for remote use. Now you can always start your mount from the same index position, regardless of where it was pointed when the mount was last used.
- Celestron’s PWI software was co-designed by Planewave Instruments, a company famous for their professional-level telescopes and mounts. One of the features of this software is multi-point mount modeling, which is normally only included with mounts costing thousands more. Multi-point mount modeling allows you to increase the pointing accuracy of the CGX-L mount. The software also includes plate solving and focus support.
- With all the features of the CGX-L, it is easy for overlook the fact that this is a computerized mount. The included Celestron NexStar + hand controller has a USB port on the bottom to make updates easier. It includes a bright, easy to read LCD display, a 40,000 object database, and a variety of choices in the software to make finding and observing celestial objects a breeze.
- The CGX-L has redesigned and ergonomic adjustment knobs throughout. These knobs are large and easy to turn due to reduced friction, even under heavy loads.
- With the CGX-L, you don’t need a separate finder, application, or other alignment accessories to do an accurate polar alignment. Software Polar Align is a feature that allows you to do an “All-Star Polar Alignment” on any bright star quickly and accurately. If you would like to use a polar scope to align in the classic manner, Celestron has designed one specifically for the CGX or CGX-L Mount. See the recommended accessories for a link to the product.
- Dual Dovetail Saddle with extra length. The beefy dovetail saddle on the CGX-L is the ultimate in flexibility. It is 270 mm (almost 11”) long, and accepts either a Vixen-style (CG-5) dovetail plate or the wider Losmandy-style (CGE) plate. This means you can mount just about any telescope on the CGX-L quickly and easily, making it a very flexible mount.
- Now let’s talk about the CGX-L’s excellent load capacity to mount weight ratio. The weight capacity of the CGX-L is 75 pounds, however, the mount head only weighs an amazing 52.6 pounds. While not light as a feather, that means this very capable equatorial mount is still considered portable. Celestron has created a very ergonomic design that makes it easier to carry and set up. There are handles built in so you can carry close to your body (see extra images for an example).
- The CGX-L Tripod has been completely redesigned to handle the extra capacity of the CGX-L mount. It’s large 2.75” diameter legs spread wider than usual for added stability, and the height is adjustable from 35.75” to 52.75”. A heavy-duty accessory tray holds three 1.25” eyepieces, two 2” eyepieces, and even has a shelf built in to hold your smartphone or tablet in an upright position! It can stay in place even when the tripod is collapsed, making it much easier to set up, break down, and store your tripod.
- The Celestron CGXL comes with a larger 31.5mm diameter counterweight shaft to support the required counterweights needed to balance your OTA and accessories. The mount comes with two 22-lb. counterweights, and of course more are available separately. You will also receive a Celestron DC Power Cable to run the mount. It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket, which means you can run the CGX-L from your car battery, or you can use a portable DC battery like the Celestron PowerTank Lithium (sold separately). An AC Adapter is also available should you prefer to run your mount from household current.
- Mount Type: German Equatorial
- Instrument load capacity: 75 lb.
- Tripod height adjustment range: 35.75” to 52.75”
- Tripod leg diameter: 2.75”
- Accessory Tray: Holds five eyepieces, with Smartphone/Tablet stand
- Latitude adjustment range: 3 - 65 degrees
- Tripod Weight: 46.2 lb.
- EQ Head Weight: 52.6 lb.
- Max Slew Speed: 4 degrees per second
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Number of Aux ports: 4
- Autoguide ports: 2
- USB Port: Yes
- LED Light: Yes, includes Red LED light toggle switch
- Clock: Internal Real Time Clock to keep time and site info
- Software: PWI Software
- WiFi: Supports SkyPortal & StarSense (sold separately)
- Dovetail Saddle Length: 270 mm (10.63”)
- Dovetail Saddle: Dual Fit (Vixen/Losmandy)
- Worm Wheel Diameter: 144 mm
- Hand Control: NexStar + with USB Port
- Object Database: 40,000
- PEC: Yes, and PPEC Ready
Celestron CGX-L Mount Specifications
For more information on the Celestron CGX-L Equatorial Mount, take a look at this You Tube video in which Celestron product engineer, Bryan Cogdell, goes over its many features: