- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Celestron CGX-L 1400 EdgeHD Computerized Telescope - 12077
Celestron CGX-L 1400 EdgeHD
14" Aplanatic SCT on CGXL Computerized GoTo Equatorial Mount
14" Aplanatic SCT on CGXL Computerized GoTo Equatorial Mount
For those astronomers who are serious about their astro-imaging, we give you the Celestron 14" EdgeHD OTA on the CGX-L Mount! The Celestron 1400 EdgeHD telescope is an aplanatic SCT that produces an amazingly flat field and diffraction limited stars all the way to the edge of the field, whether you are using one of today's super wide angle eyepieces or a full frame CCD camera! Features like flexible tension clutches to keep the mirror in place, a highly filtered MagLev fan to cool the primary down without letting dust in, and the ability to remove the secondary mirror and do f/2 imaging with Fastar make this scope an astro-imagers dream.
The new Celestron CGX-L Equatorial Computerized Mount has a weight capacity of 75 pounds, which leaves you plenty of room for accessories on top of the 46 pound Celestron EdgeHD 1400 telescope. This system is big, but due to the reasonable weight of the components, it is not destined to stay in an observatory. The heaviest part is the CGX-L mount itself, but its actually amazingly light for its weight capacity at just 52.6 pounds. Celestron upgraded several features when they created the CGX-L mount, including a larger brass worm wheel (144 mm diameter), a longer 270mm dual dovetail saddle to accept larger OTA's, two extra AUX and one extra Autoguider port on the back of the saddle to make it easy to plug in accessories, and a very beefy CGX-L tripod that sports 2.75" diameter legs. Other CGX features include Home Sensors and Limit Switches, PWI software that allows for multi-point mount modeling for increased pointing accuracy, and software-assisted All-Star Polar Alignment.
You can read more about both the Celestron 14" EdgeHD and the CGX-L Mount below. Scroll all the way down to see a video on the mount. Give us a call or shoot us an email if you have any questions.
Features of the Celestron 14" EdgeHD Aplanatic SCT OTA
- The Celestron EdgeHD 1400 telescope produces a focal plane that is 9 times flatter than a standard SCT!
- Diffraction limited stars are maintained across the entire field of view, even with full frame cameras
- Used visually, you'll see pinpoint stars to the edges of even wide field eyepieces
- The Celestron EdgeHD 1400 telescope produces tight focus when imaging due to its high definition, aplanatic optical system
- Flexible tension clutches keep the mirror in place to reduce image shift as you work through the night
- Tube vents help the primary mirror cool down faster, and has an integrated 95 micron mesh filter to keep dust out of the system
- Install the optional focal reducer to convert your f/11 system to a wider, faster f/7.
- The Celestron EdgeHD 1400 telescope is Fastar compatible, allowing you to remove the secondary mirror and install a third party lens assembly (sold separately) for amazingly fast f/2 wide field imaging. With Fastar installed, you can reduce exposure times significantly and enjoy a field of view that is five times wider than at f/11.
Celestron EdgeHD 1400 Telescope Specifications
- Optical Design: EdgeHD
- Aperture: 355.6 mm (14 in)
- Focal Length: 3910 mm (154 in)
- Focal Ratio: 11
- Focal Length of Eyepiece: 23 mm (0.91 in)
- Magnification of Eyepiece: 170 x
- Finderscope: 9x50
- Star Diagonal: 2" w/1.25" adapter
- Optical Tube: Aluminum
- Highest Useful Magnification: 840 x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 51 x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 15.3
- Resolution (Rayleigh): 0.39 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes): 0.33 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 2581 x
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction: 4.5 in (114 mm)
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter: 32%
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area: 10%
- Optical Coatings: StarBright / XLT
- Optical Tube Length: 31 in (787 mm)
- Optical Tube Weight: 46 lb (21 kg)
- Dovetail Compatibility: CGE Mount
Celestron CGX-L GoTo German Equatorial Mount
The Celestron CGX-L Computerized Equatorial Mount is the extra heavy-duty version of the innovative, accurate, and stable CGX! The CGX-L has been designed with an even better load capacity to weight ratio, and is capable of handling an OTA and other astronomical equipment weighing a total of 75 pounds. The CGX tripod is amazingly stable! It has a wider stance to handle increased loads, and has huge 2.75” diameter stainless steel legs to support the CGX-L mount and your choice of telescope. Together, the CGXL mount and CGX-L tripod provide a rock-solid platform for visual astronomers and astro-imagers alike!
Features of the CGX-L Mount
- The CGX-L has larger, 144 mm diameter worm wheels to handle heavier loads and drive them accurately. The worm wheel is made of brass and is spring-loaded, and together with the stainless steel worm gear, they provide excellent gear mesh and reduce friction, creating a buttery smooth belt drive system.
- The right ascension and declination motors used on the Celestron CGX-L have more torque for improved tracking and slewing under load. Working together with the belt drive system, you’ll experience minimal backlash and worry-free operation. You can even watch the pulleys and belts working through the motor cover windows!
- Celestron has increased the number of auxiliary ports to four (4), and has even added an additional autoguider port so that you have maximum flexibility when it comes to electronic accessories. Two of the AUX ports and an Autoguider port are built in just below the dovetail saddle, making it easy to plug in extra accessories like the StarSense or WiFi module and not worry about the cord causing a problem as the mount moves. Speaking of cabling, those required to run the mount are run internally, so even if you are running your CGX-L remotely, you don’t have to worry about cable snags.
- Mechanical hard stops and limit sensors on both axes protect the Celestron CGX-L from hitting the tripod or causing undue stress on the cables. Built-in limit sensors will actually stop the mount from slewing or tracking further before the CGX-L reaches the hard stop fail safe.
- Home sensors are built into the CGX-L mount, making it a great choice for remote use. Now you can always start your mount from the same index position, regardless of where it was pointed when the mount was last used.
- Celestron’s PWI software was co-designed by Planewave Instruments, a company famous for their professional-level telescopes and mounts. One of the features of this software is multi-point mount modeling, which is normally only included with mounts costing thousands more. Multi-point mount modeling allows you to increase the pointing accuracy of the CGX-L mount. The software also includes plate solving and focus support.
- With all the features of the CGX-L, it is easy for overlook the fact that this is a computerized mount. The included Celestron NexStar + hand controller has a USB port on the bottom to make updates easier. It includes a bright, easy to read LCD display, a 40,000 object database, and a variety of choices in the software to make finding and observing celestial objects a breeze.
- The CGX-L has redesigned and ergonomic adjustment knobs throughout. These knobs are large and easy to turn due to reduced friction, even under heavy loads.
- With the CGX-L, you don’t need a separate finder, application, or other alignment accessories to do an accurate polar alignment. Software Polar Align is a feature that allows you to do an “All-Star Polar Alignment” on any bright star quickly and accurately. If you would like to use a polar scope to align in the classic manner, Celestron has designed one specifically for the CGX or CGX-L Mount. See the recommended accessories for a link to the product.
- Dual Dovetail Saddle with extra length. The beefy dovetail saddle on the CGX-L is the ultimate in flexibility. It is 270 mm (almost 11”) long, and accepts either a Vixen-style (CG-5) dovetail plate or the wider Losmandy-style (CGE) plate. This means you can mount just about any telescope on the CGX-L quickly and easily, making it a very flexible mount.
- Now let’s talk about the CGX-L’s excellent load capacity to mount weight ratio. The weight capacity of the CGX-L is 75 pounds, however, the mount head only weighs an amazing 52.6 pounds. While not light as a feather, that means this very capable equatorial mount is still considered portable. Celestron has created a very ergonomic design that makes it easier to carry and set up. There are handles built in so you can carry close to your body (see extra images for an example).
- The CGX-L Tripod has been completely redesigned to handle the extra capacity of the CGX-L mount. It’s large 2.75” diameter legs spread wider than usual for added stability, and the height is adjustable from 35.75” to 52.75”. A heavy-duty accessory tray holds three 1.25” eyepieces, two 2” eyepieces, and even has a shelf built in to hold your smartphone or tablet in an upright position! It can stay in place even when the tripod is collapsed, making it much easier to set up, break down, and store your tripod.
- The Celestron CGXL comes with a larger 31.5mm diameter counterweight shaft to support the required counterweights needed to balance your OTA and accessories. The mount comes with one 22-lb. counterweight, and of course more are available separately. You will also receive a Celestron DC Power Cable to run the mount. It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket, which means you can run the CGX-L from your car battery, or you can use a portable DC battery like the Celestron PowerTank Lithium (sold separately). An AC Adapter is also available should you prefer to run your mount from household current.
- Mount Type: German Equatorial
- Instrument load capacity: 75 lb.
- Tripod height adjustment range: 35.75” to 52.75”
- Tripod leg diameter: 2.75”
- Accessory Tray: Holds five eyepieces, with Smartphone/Tablet stand
- Latitude adjustment range: 3 - 65 degrees
- Tripod Weight: 46.2 lb.
- EQ Head Weight: 52.6 lb.
- Max Slew Speed: 4 degrees per second
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Number of Aux ports: 4
- Autoguide ports: 2
- USB Port: Yes
- LED Light: Yes, includes Red LED light toggle switch
- Clock: Internal Real Time Clock to keep time and site info
- Software: PWI Software
- WiFi: Supports SkyPortal & StarSense (sold separately)
- Dovetail Saddle Length: 270 mm (10.63”)
- Dovetail Saddle: Dual Fit (Vixen/Losmandy)
- Worm Wheel Diameter: 144 mm
- Hand Control: NexStar + with USB Port
- Object Database: 40,000
- PEC: Yes, and PPEC Ready
Celestron CGX-L Mount Specifications
For more information on the Celestron CGX-L Equatorial Mount, take a look at this You Tube video in which Celestron product engineer, Bryan Cogdell, goes over its many features: