- Fast Shipping, Same or Next Day: You made the commitment to purchase, now you want that new item fast, we get it! At High Point all in stock orders ship within 24 hours, pending internal credit card approval.Read more ...
- Unlimited Tech Support Forever: One of the many perks of being a High Point customer is that you get access to our tech support team forever! We are astronomers at heart and truly enjoy helping fellow amateurs achieve success in the field! Read more ...
- 30 Day Return Policy: Ordered the wrong product? Don't worry, we'll take the majority of our products back within 30 days of the purchase date.We want to get you into the observing setup that bests fits your needs. Read more ...
- Guaranteed Price Match: Call or email us if you find a better price on a product! Provide a link for our team to confirm the price and within a matter of seconds you'll have a price match providing the re-seller is within the USA and authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product of interest. Read more ...
- We're Your Connection To The Manufacturer: In the event there is a warranty issue with a product purchased from High Point, we will serve as the liaison between you and the Manufacturer. The net result is faster, more attentive service from the Manufacturer and an enhanced customer experience. Read more ...
Sky-Watcher 6" Classic Dobsonian Telescope - S11600
What We Like About Sky-Watcher Dobsonians
- Sometimes simple is best. A Skywatcher Dob will introduce you to deep-sky astronomy at a price that is usually reserved for smaller (and therefore less powerful) telescopes.
- With a Skywatcher Dobsonian, you’ll become more than an observer of the cosmos; you will actively participate in finding objects and feel the excitement of discovery.
- Classic Sky-Watcher Dobsonians come with a Tension Control Handle; a real improvement that allows you to lock the tube in its current position, adjust the tension between the tube and mount to accommodate a heavier eyepiece or Telrad finder, etc. You can read more about this patented Dobsonian improvement below.
- Many smaller Dobs come with a 1.25” focuser, but the Sky-Watcher includes a 2” focuser with an 1.25” eyepiece adapter, allowing you to use both 1.25” and 2” eyepieces and barreled accessories, like Barlow lenses and collimators.
- Also included with the 6” SW Dob is two (2) 1.25” eyepieces (10 mm & 25 mm), and a 6 x 30 finder.
What is Dobsonian Telescope?
John Dobson, an avid amateur astronomer connected to the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers, designed a simple yet elegant telescope mount in the 1970’s that was easy to build and could handle a basic Newtonian telescope tube. Dobson wanted people to have the ability to build their own telescope out of inexpensive materials. In fact, hundreds of people, under Dobson’s tutelage, learned to grind their own mirrors, and these mirrors were put to use in what has come to be known as a “Dobsonian” telescope.
What makes a telescope a Dobsonian is the base that the telescope tube sits on. The tube itself is a simple Newtonian, designed by someone you may have heard of…Isaac Newton. Before John Dobson invented his simple telescope base, Newtonian telescopes were usually mounted on a large, heavy equatorial mount. They were neither simple, portable, nor inexpensive. Instead, Dobson made a heavy-duty box, modified to hold the optical tube, and mounted it on a lazy-suzan type base. The telescope tube only took a few simple modifications to allow it to ride on the base. When he had finished the final tweaking, a new alt-azimuth mount was born. The telescope could be pointed to anywhere in the sky by either rotating the box on the lazy-suzan base, or by pushing the telescope up or down. The Dobsonian was born.
How the Sky-Watcher Tension Control Handle Improved the Dobsonian
The currently available devices for stabilizing a telescope on a Dobsonian mount include a sliding weight to counter balance the weight of the telescope, a friction lock that must be adjusted to inhibit movement of the telescope, and a spring attached between the telescope tube and mount to aid in stabilization. These devices are inconvenient to use because they do not provide a simple and user-friendly way to adjust the friction.
The object of the Sky-Watcher Tension Control Handle invention (US Patent No. 6,940,642) is to provide a tension adjuster that users can easily turn to add or reduce tension, thereby increasing or decreasing the friction between the optical tube and the sideboard of the mount. By providing such a tension adjuster, the telescope does not need to be balanced in order to stay in position. The tension adjuster can be tightened such that the optical tube can stay in a position but can still be moved when prompted to adjust the position of the optical tube. Alternatively, the tension adjuster can be completely tightened to lock the optical tube in position.
Sky-Watcher Classic 6” Dobsonian Telescope
- Optical Design: Newtonian
- Mirror Type: Parabolic
- Primary Mirro Aperture: 153 mm
- Secondary Mirror Aperture: 34.5 mm
- Focal Length: 1200 mm
- F/Ratio: F/7.8
- Highest Practical Power: 306x
- Faintest Steller Magnitude: 13.6
- Finder Scope: 6x30
- Focuser Diameter: 2” with 1.25” adapter
- Eyepiece: 1.25" Super 25 mm and 10 mm
- Tube Weight w/Accessories: 15 lb.
- Shipping Weight: 25 kg total (two boxes)